Belfast Telegraph

Miserable run goes on for Derry as super Sligo prove too strong

Derry City 0 Sligo Rovers 2

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City's woeful form continued as they slumped to defeat against Sligo Rovers.

It is just one league win in seven games for the Candystripes, who are in their biggest slump under boss Kenny Shiels.

Ronan Curtis was determined to make an impact on his final appearance at the Brandywell before his move to Portsmouth and he put himself about well early on, setting up a chance for Conor McDermott who drilled just wide of Mitchell Beeney's goal.

But it was the visitors who struck first on 11 minutes when Rhys McCabe chipped a ball in behind the Derry defence for the run of David Cawley, who showed great composure to both draw and then sidestep Ger Doherty before slotting into the empty net. The home side almost responded immediately as Aaron McEneff played Ben Doherty in on goal, but the youngster attempted to shift the ball onto his stronger left foot, allowing Gary Boylan to make a vital interception.

It should have been 2-0 midway through the half as Derry were caught out again, this time Lewis Morrison beating the offside trap, but he too attempted to shift the ball onto his stronger foot and shot wastefully over the bar.

Derry were sloppy in possession and lacking any flair, Curtis had to lead the line himself with Rory Patterson suspended.

The hosts created their first real chance of the game 10 minutes before the break when Ronan Hale got a sight of goal, but he didn't connect properly and Beeney was allowed to parry at close range.

Within seconds Sligo were almost in again as Nicky Low gave the ball away just outside his own penalty area and Morrison was in again, only for his effort to be blocked behind for a corner.

City could have gone in level at the break when Rory Hale sent brother Ronan in behind, but instead of driving into the area, the younger Hale shifted onto his left and sent his shot straight at Beeney. Disaster struck Derry just three minutes into the second half as Sligo doubled their lead and it was all so simple for the visitors as Caolan McAleer's low cross was turned in by Lewis Morrison.

Sligo almost scored again within a minute, McAleer found in space and his fierce effort had to be parried by Doherty.

Derry managed very little in response with Sligo seeing out the remainder of the game, with just the small matter of a trip to Turner's Cross on Monday for a side desperately in need of a result from somewhere.

Derry City: Doherty, McDermott (McDonagh 64), Cole, Peers, Doyle (Toal 81), Ben Doherty, McEneff, Low, Ronan Hale, Rory Hale (Farren 67), Curtis.

Sligo Rovers: Beeney, Boylan, McFadden, Sharkey, McCabe, Roy (Moorhouse 63), McClean, McAleer, Wixted, Cawley, Morrison (Pincelli 68).

Referee: Damien McGraith.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph