Belfast Telegraph

Poor lights pylon Oval congestion

The lights went out on Glentoran’s attempts to ease past Limavady United and into the fifth round of the Irish Cup on Saturday.

And that leaves the east Belfast men facing another loaded fixture list over the next few weeks.

The howling wind and torrential rain, which had been beating down 45 minutes before kick-off, made life difficult for the players and when lights attached to pylons on the Railway side of the ground became unsteady, referee Ray Crangle deemed that to be a danger and called a halt to proceedings at half-time.

The Glens had been potential victims of a cup upset when the much coveted Ryan McIlmoyle opened the scoring for Limavady on the half-hour mark, but that lead was short lived as David Scullion produced a cool finish, chipping the ball into the roof of the net past three defenders, just three minutes later — although in the end the goals meant nothing.

Alan McDonald’s side have hardly had a week without a Tuesday or Wednesday fixture since their Setanta Sports Cup semi-final win over Drogheda United in mid-October and the abandonment of Saturday’s cup tie now means three more midweek games coming up in as many weeks.

And that’s not allowing for the potential of the clash with the Roesiders going to a replay and not forgetting the fact that the home Premiership game against Linfield that was postponed way back on October 4 has still to be rescheduled.

That game had been pencilled in for Tuesday February 3 at the Oval, but the Glens will instead be taking on Limavady that night, so the earliest they will face the Blues again is likely to be two weeks after that

Sign In

It wasn’t just at the Oval that half-time brought a conclusion to the action.

Ballymena United will head back to Ballyclare Comrades on Tuesday after their game was abandoned with the Sky Blues leading 1-0 through Kevin Kelbie’s 20th minute strike.

Bangor were also a goal to the good against Carrick Rangers, through Marty Verner, when Trevor Moutray took the teams off and didn’t bring them back.

They will try against on Wednesday evening.

Ciaran Caldwell had Donegal Celtic 1-0 up at Ballinamallard United with just five minutes gone before Andy Crawford levelled, but referee David Malcolm ended the match at half time.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph