Belfast Telegraph

Portadown 1 Dungannon Sw 4

Dixie Robinson insists that he didn’t swear at the referee as he was ordered off by whistler Stephen Weatherall during this humiliation of listless Portadown — but the Dungannon boss certainly swears by his players.

“Forget about me and that spat with the ref — I simply questioned a decision,” he said.

“It’s all about these players and the way they play for the shirt.

“This game puts us back on top of the league table, and while we may — or may not — stay there, it silences the pundits who put us down as the prime candidates for relegation.

“We already have 16 points on the board from the first seven matches, and who would have thought that? I’m so proud of them.”

And he was especially proud of two-goal hero Neil McCafferty who has four to his credit so far this season, compared with just two last term.

“But I was at the Swifts for just half-a-season last time,” said midfielder Neil.

“I have a more forward role now, and I’m relishing it. But the whole team is playing well.

“We really bounced back after last week’s defeat by Crusaders, although there’s no shame being beaten by a team of that quality,” he added.

The first hour of this encounter was sheer boredom. It wasn’t until Ryan Mullan scrambled home the Swifts opener that it burst into life.

He rounded off a free-kick from Johnny Montgomery which was headed on by Timmy Adamson and Mullan netted from close in.

It all went frantic after that, with McCafferty scoring a peach of a second, direct from a 25-yard free-kick that slewed around the defensive wall and was in the net before David Miskelly realised what was happening.

Portadown pulled one back, with an unmarked David McCullough heading home after brilliant work by young Alan Teggart on the left.

But the Swifts pulverised Portadown and substitute Shane Coney made it 3-1 on 84 minutes with his first touch of the ball when he clipped home after Ryan McIlmoyle and Michael Ward did the spadework.

Number four came a minute from time when McCafferty slammed home from the penalty spot after Ports right-back Chris Coleman fouled Coney, and the rout was complete.

Ports manager Ronnie McFall made no excuses.

“Our team has played well up until now,” he said, “even though results haven’t been going our way. But they were all as flat as a pancake today and it’s hard to understand.

“We got what we deserved, and while I’m not knocking Dungannon, it was made very easy for them.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph