Belfast Telegraph

Portadown's win books their spot in showdown against Carrick


Net gains: Sean Mackle was on target for Portadown
Net gains: Sean Mackle was on target for Portadown

By Stuart McKinley

Portadown and Carrick Rangers will go head-to-head in a one-off play-off at the end of the month for a shot at promotion.

The Ports booked their place with a resounding 3-1 over H&W Welders at Shamrock Park, which moved them up to third place and, with Dundela not entering the promotion race, Matthew Tipton's men know their hopes of going up are still alive as they can't be caught by any other team.

First half goals from Sean Mackle and Adam McCallum put the Ports in the driving seat and after Charlie Dornan pulled one back for the Welders their first game under the management of Colin McIlwaine and George O'Boyle ended in defeat as Chris Lavery netted a late third for the Ports.

Carrick came from behind to beat Ballinamallard United. Ryan Campbell put the Mallards in front, but after they were reduced to 10 men when Josh McIlwaine was sent off Carrick made the most of the numerical advantage with Stewart Nixon equalising after the break before Caolin Coyle netted the winner.

Champions Larne are enjoying their post-title winning finale as they ran riot at Dundela, winning 5-0. Ben Tilney and Dom Tear put them 2-0 up at the break before a strike from David McDaid and a David Scullion double completed the high five.

Limavady United gave themselves hope of escaping automatic relegation when they hit four past PSNI. They were well in control by half-time after goals from Ryan Logue, Gary McFadden and Ryan Doherty. Alex Pomeroy struck the fourth, but the Roesiders remain three points adrift of the Police with two games to go.

Dergview are now clear of automatic relegation after a 3-2 win at Ballyclare Comrades. Emmet McGuckin netted a hat-trick with Jamie Willighan scoring twice from the penalty spot for the Comrades.

Sign In

Knockbreda could still get pulled into a play-off at the bottom after they could only draw 0-0 at home to Loughgall.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph