| 2°C Belfast

Ports held but extend their lead at the top

Bluefin Sport Championship

Adam Salley struck a late penalty to rescue a point for Portadown at Dundela and with Loughgall winning away to Ballinamallard United that was enough to see the Shamrock Park men stretch their lead at the top of the Bluefin Sport Championship table to six points.

Dundela took the lead at Wilgar Park thanks to an Eoin Kane goal after 34 minutes. The Ports had come from a goal down to win twice in their last three games and hopes of making that a hat-trick were raised when Salley equalised from the penalty spot on 78 minutes.

But, despite Salley having the best chance in the final stages Matthew Tipton's side weren't able to compete the comeback.

Loughgall recovered from the previous weekend's defeat at Shamrock Park by winning 3-2 at Ballinamalllard.

Nathaniel Ferris put the Villagers into the lead from the penalty spot and they were 2-0 inside 20 minutes when Jordan Gibson doubled the advantage.

The Mallards drew level when first John Edgar and then Ryan Campbell netted either side of the break, but they were left with nothing to show for their efforts when Ferris headed home his second 20 minutes from time.

Knockbreda made it back-to-back wins under new manager Colin McIlwrath, 3-2 at Ards, who had caretaker manager Craig McClean in charge for the first time after the departure of Warren Feeney.

Ards had taken the lead through Jonny Taylor, but Breda levelled and then took the lead before half time through Conall Delaney. Dylan Wilson's strike looked to have earned a point for Ards, but David Fearon's penalty won the game for Knockbreda.

Breda are just three points behind Dergview at the bottom of the table after the Castlederg men got a point away to Ballyclare Comrades. A fine header from Damien McNulty put Dergview ahead in the first half and Jordan Malone levelled 11 minutes after the break.

Ards' defeat allowed Newry City to move into fifth place in the table thank to a 1-0 win at home to Queen's University, with Steven Moan netting the first-half winner.

H&W Welders jumped above Queen's into eighth place when they won 4-1 at PSNI. An own goal plus strikes from Ross Arthurs and Lewis Harrison had them 3-0 up at the break and Arthurs added a second before a consolation strike from PSNI.

BLUEFIN SPORT CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS: Ards 2 Knockbreda 3, Ballinamallard United 2 Loughgall 3, Ballyclare Comrades 1 Dergview 1, Dundela 1 Portadown 1, Newry City 1 Queen's University 0, PSNI 1 H&W Welders 4.

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph