Belfast Telegraph

Setanta Cup: Browne spot on as Lisburn Distillery sink UCD

By David Hunter

Lisburn Distillery 1 UCD 0 (Lisburn Distillery win 2-0 on aggregate): Lisburn Distillery saw off a battling UCD side to march into Round 2 of the Setanta Sports Cup last night.

Gary Browne put the Whites ahead from the penalty spot for his 18th goal of the season, with Scott Davidson netting four |minutes from time to seal a great result.

Whites' boss Tommy Wright praised his side’s perseverance.

“It was a hard shift, they are a good side, they play good football and keep the ball well, but we worked hard and limited them to very few chances,” he said.

“I think we are a victim of Saturday-Monday games at the minute and we didn't have the quality in the performance as we would expect, but we worked hard and got the result which was the main thing.”

Both sides had a succession of early corners but neither could convert — the Whites going closest on 14 minutes when Glenn Ferguson and Stuart Thompson combined to beat Gerard Barron at the near post only to see the ball sail over.

But was a Browne who put the Whites ahead from the spot after centre-back Yael Haro brought down Gary Thompson.

As they had done in the first leg, UCD passed the ball well but were restricted to a few long-range efforts. Their frustration showed when Darren Meenan was booked for kicking the ball away after he had handled it.

Looking to make amends for his error Haro went close from a Paul O'Connor corner a minute after the break, but his effort drifted wide.UCD kept going forward but the home side sealed the win when Davidson saw his shot from the edge of the box deflected past Barron after a the Whites had been awarded a controversial free-kick for what referee Colin Burns deemed was a back-pass four minutes from time.

LISBURN DISTILLERY: Brennan, Callaghan, S.Thompson, Simpson, |McShane, G.Thompson (Davidson 81), Cooling, Kilmartin, Patton (Cushley 76), Ferguson, Browne. Subs: Matthews, Hunter, Forsythe, Devlin, Boyle.

UCD: Barron, Harding (Morrison 76), Leahy, Haro, Nangle, Marshall (Belhuit 81), Corry, Creevy, O'Conor, Meenan |(O'Callaghan 46), Rusk. Subs: O'Connor, Boyle, Ledwith, McGinley.

Referee: Colin Burns (Comber).

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph