| 6.5°C Belfast

Shut out puts a dent in United's title push as Ports pull clear

Bluefin Sport Championship

Ballinamallard United had their promotion hopes blown off course in the midst of Storm Ciara as they failed to join the Bluefin Sport Championship's goal-fest.

On a day when the division went goal-crazy, with a massive 29 scored across the six matches, the Mallards were the only team to fail to find the target and that meant a single goal was enough to give Newry City victory at The Showgrounds.

Declan Carville, recently returned to Newry after a stint at Ballymena United, scored a second-half winner from the penalty spot.

That allowed Loughgall to move into second place after they won 5-2 at Queen's University.

Two goals from Nathaniel Ferris and a hat-trick from Peter Campbell gave them victory after Queen's had opened the scoring through Paul Trainor, while Jonah Mitchell had brought the score back to 2-2 just before half time.

Those two results mean that Portadown are now seven points clear at the top after they beat Knockbreda 4-0 at Shamrock Park.

Adam Salley and Lee Bonis scored twice each - although Bonis' second had more than a hint of being an own goal. The Ports' new goalkeeper Ben Pierce also contributed with two key saves, the first in the opening minutes to keep the scoreline at 0-0 and the second to ensure a clean sheet in the closing stages.

Ards also hit five in a comprehensive victory over Dergview.

They raced into a 3-0 lead thanks to Conall Young, Kyle Calderwood and Johnny Taylor before Matthew Callaghan and Emmet McNabb struck to give Dergview some hope.

Salou Jallow and Sam Dinu would, however, ensure the points for Ards to keep them on track for a top-six place.

Harland & Wolff Welders kept the pressure on Ards when in-form striker Matthew Ferguson hit a hat-trick in a 3-1 win over PSNI, which he sealed from the penalty spot after the Police had brought it back to 2-1.

Dundela remain on course for a top-six spot after a 4-2 win over Ballyclare Comrades. David McMaster scored twice - his first was equalised by Gary Donnelly - with Carl McComb and Chris Watts adding to his brace to put them 4-1 ahead before a late consolation from the Comrades.

RESULTS: Ards 5 Dergview 2; Dundela 4 Ballyclare Comrades 2; H&W Welders 3 PSNI 1; Newry City 1 Ballinamallard United 0; Portadown 4 Knockbreda 0; Queen's University 2 Loughgall 5.

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph