Belfast Telegraph

Slick Derry turn on the power to leave Cork with sinking feeling

Derry City 2 Cork City 0

Eoin Toal
Eoin Toal

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City are now in pole position for European football next season after a straightforward win over Cork City took them into third place in the Premier Division.

Two quick-fire goals just before half time ended this game as a contest, with Eoin Toal and Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe again on target against Cork to help City to their first win in six games in all competitions.

In a quiet first half, there was a real moment of controversy on 38 minutes when Eoghan Stokes, already cautioned earlier in the game, went in late on Harkin right under the nose of referee Derek Tomney. To the disbelief of everyone Stokes somehow remained on the pitch.

City's frustration at that decision was quickly forgotten however as they took the lead just before half time, a long throw into the area by Parkhouse flicked on by Ally Gilchrist into the six yard box and Toal turned the ball in for only his second goal of the season.

Cork shot themselves in the foot spectacularly to concede a second. Conor McCormack gave the ball straight to Junior just outside his own penalty area and the forward exchanged passes with Harkin before curling the ball beyond Ryan.

The hosts finally put this contest to bed on 74 minutes. Barry McNamee's free kick found Junior and although his downward header was brilliantly saved by Ryan, he could only push it onto the chest of Colm Horgan who watched on in agony as the ball ended up in his own net.

Cork's Karl Sheppard came so close to a spectacular consolation but his effort hit the top of the crossbar.

Sign In

City finished the contest in style with the fourth goal of the game, a long throw finding Michael McCrudden who back-heeled the ball into the path of Junior who applied the finish.

Derry City: Cherrie, Gillespie, Gilchrist, Toal, Coll, Sloggett, McNamee (McCrudden 79), Harkin, Malone (McCauley 59), Ogedi-Uzokwe, Parkhouse.

Cork City: Ryan, Horgan, McCarthy (Bennett 63), O'Brien, Morrissey, McCormack (Buckley 53), O'Connor, Byrne, Sheppard, Griffin, Stokes (Coustrain 53).

Referee: Derek Tomney.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph