| 3°C Belfast

Stute pounce late to boost their survival bid

Warrenpoint 2-2 Institute

Danny Wallace

Honours even in an incredible relegation battle at Milltown. In a frantic finish Institute netted a 90th minute leveller through a Gavin Smith own goal to keep their hopes of staying up alive.

Prior to that Warrenpoint captain Danny Wallace looked as though he had sent Barry Gray's side five points clear of Institute at the bottom of the table with a brilliant goal on 84 minutes.

In the first period Alan O'Sullivan and Ahu Obhakhan swapped first half strikes leaving two points between the teams.

The bright home side started as they meant to go on with O'Sullivan and Ryan Swan looking a threat.

And it was no surprise when they broke the deadlock on 19 minutes. Brandon Doyle provided width on the left and an accurate cross to pick out O'Sullivan whose side foot effort deflected in off Institute skipper Dean Curry, wrong footing Brown.

Gray's side could have doubled their lead shortly after when Kealan Dillon smashed the ball against the crossbar after a fantastic delivery from Swan.

Institute needed something to happen.

It did on 43 minutes when Evan Tweed delivered a brilliant right wing cross which Wallace failed to clear and Nigerian Obhakhan was there to hit the net from close range.

The equaliser was a massive boost for Institute and after the break they played with much more confidence. A superb cross on 56 minutes from Colm McLaughlin set up a headed chance for Tweed but Buchanan made a stunning save, diving to his left to push the ball away.

Tweed was having his own personal battle with Buchanan.

Just after the hour mark the midfielder was given the freedom of Milltown to race towards the danger area.

His powerful shot at the end of a driving run was brilliantly stopped by the Warrenpoint goalkeeper.

It was turning into a compelling all action contest.

At the other end Wallace's header was cleared off the line and then Institute goalkeeper Rory Brown made a cracking stop to deny Dillon.

Entering the latter stages the game was heating up with Town's Dermot McVeigh becoming involved in a needless altercation with Institute boss Sean Connor leading to bookings for both.

It was frantic stuff.

Institute substitute Alex Pomeroy missed a glorious chance before on 84 minutes Wallace started and finished a lightning move out of defence to restore the home side's lead. Warrenpoint cleared a corner and Wallace led the charge passing to Swan. The captain kept running and inside the box he turned Swan's super cross into the net.

The drama wasn't finished in this important game with Smith putting the ball into his own net after a mad scramble in the Warrenpoint box.

WARRENPOINT TOWN: Buchanan, Bennett (Scannell 46), McVeigh, O'Sullivan, Doyle (Carroll 66), Hutchinson (Smith 14), Wallace, Dillon, Mullen, Deasy, Swan. Subs not used: Lynch, Watters, O'Kane, Sava.

INSTITUTE: R Brown, McLaughlin, Curry, Obhakhan (Pomeroy 71), Tourish, Tweed, Burke, Brogan (De Carne 88), Doherty, Henry, Walsh (G Brown 51). Subs not used: McCann, Morrow, McCauley, Crown.

Referee: Andrew Davey

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph