Belfast Telegraph

Stute victory leaves Newry facing painful drop

Institute 2-1 Newry City

On target: Ronan Doherty fired Institute's winner
On target: Ronan Doherty fired Institute's winner

By Colin Speer

Newry City's hopes of survival suffered a massive blow last night as a Ronan Doherty goal condemned Darren Mullen's men to defeat against Institute.

New Stute manager John Quigg was in the dug-out for the first time and watched on as Callum Moorehead put his team ahead with a sweet strike on the half hour mark, but the visitors bit back to equalise through Tiarnan Rushe on 54 minutes.

Newry tired as the game went on and the home side took advantage when Doherty curled in the winner on 64 minutes.

The visitors should have taken the lead on 20 minutes when Rushe was afforded too much space and slipped in Stefan Lavery, but he didn't catch it properly with his left foot and it skimmed across the face of goal and wide of the right post.

Quigg's men were next to have a superb opportunity when Jamie Dunne used his pace to good effect on 27 minutes as he bore down on the Newry goal, but Andy Coleman made a strong block at his near post.

It was Stute who opened the scoring on the half hour mark when Moorehead turned inside Stephen Teggert onto his right and curled it past Coleman from just inside the box.

Newry came so close to the equaliser on 43 minutes when Thomas McCann was afforded too much space 30 yards out, but his dipping effort was tipped over the bar by a retreating Marty Gallagher.

Sign In

Newry got their equaliser out of nothing on 54 minutes when Mark Hughes latched on to a long pass out from defence and sent a high, hanging ball to the back post that was dropped by Gallagher at the feet of Rushe who finished from close range.

The visitors could have made it 2-1 within a minute when another Hughes delivery, this time from a corner, was met by the head of the completely free John Boyle, but he sent it wide of the right post.

Stute regained the lead on 64 minutes when Stephen Curry slipped the ball back for Ryan Morrow who advanced around the outside. He squared it for Paul Smith who was crowded out, but Newry could only clear as far as Doherty 10 yards out and he had time and space to curl home off his right foot.

The home side deserved to get a third on 77 minutes when Doherty showed superb skill down the left before finding Smith in the box and he produced a deft turn to go one on one with Coleman, but the goalkeeper made an excellent block from a tight angle.

Institute: Gallagher, R Morrow, McLaughlin, Bonner, D Curry, Doherty, Dunne, (S Curry 60), Moorehead, Jarvis, McCready (Smith 57), McBride (J Morrow 69).

Newry City: Coleman, Noonan, Boyle, McCann (Cavalcante 51), Hughes, Lavery (Moody 71), Rushe, Delaney, (Pender 74), Teggert, Montgomery, Durnin.

Referee: Tony Clarke.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph