| 9.6°C Belfast

Sule adds finishing touch for in-form Larne

Dungannon 0-2 Larne


Larne's Fuad Sule

Larne's Fuad Sule


Larne's Fuad Sule

Martin Donnelly struck at Dungannon for the second time this season as Larne's impressive form continued.

The Inver Park side made it four league wins on the bounce with a comfortable win at Stangmore Park.

It was Donnelly who gave them the crucial breakthrough with a well-placed finish in the first half.

The attacking midfielder had scored the winner in the sides' meeting here in November and was on the mark again last night.

Fuad Sule doubled their lead in the second half when his shot slipped past goalkeeper Conner Byrne.

Dungannon had been on top when Donnelly struck the opening goal.

It came in the 35th minute after a cross from Tomas Cosgrove picked out Lee Lynch. His shot was saved by Byrne, but Donnelly was on hand to drive in the rebound.

Otherwise, the Swifts, who had lost just once since New Year's Day, carried plenty of attacking threat.

Caolan McAleer provided creativity from the wing, while Daniel Hughes's tricky footwork tested the visitors' back line.

It was McAleer who had the game's first chance, with his inswinging free-kick beaten away by goalkeeper Conor Mitchell.

Mitchell was starting in place of Conor Devlin, who was carrying an injury, in the only change to Larne's starting XI.

Their first chance came to David McDaid, who just failed to connect with Cosgrave's inviting ball across the box.

The Swifts, unchanged from the side that drew at Cliftonville, grew in confidence as the first half unfolded.

Oisin Smyth's shot was saved by Mitchell at point-blank range after a corner from McAleer arrived at his feet.

Then, when Ross Redman's free-kick was partially cleared, McAleer's effort clipped the post and spun behind.

Donnelly's goal changed the momentum of the game, with Larne the dominant side approaching the break.

With an hour played, Donnelly tried to open space for a shot, but Dylan King came in with a fine challenge.

The one concern for Larne was an injury to John Herron, who took a knock in a collision with Kris Lowe. Herron was booked and continued for a few minutes, before limping off in place of Andy Mitchell.

Yet a second goal for the away side in the 64th minute put them firmly in control.

It was an unfortunate moment for Byrne, who allowed Sule's shot from just outside the box to squeeze through his hands.

Dungannon brought Mark Patton and then Michael Carvill from the bench to boost their forward threat, but Larne were well in control.

A cross from Lynch came to Jeff Hughes, whose effort flashed just off target.

DUNGANNON: Byrne, Coyle, King, Wilson (Brennan, 75), Redman, Campbell (Patton, 68), McGinty (Carvill, 71), Lowe, Smyth, McAleer, Hughes

Subs not used: Johnston, Teggart, Waide, Keke

Larne: Mitchell, Flowers, Watson, Jarvis, Lynch, Cosgrove, Hughes, Sule, Herron (Mitchell, 61), Donnelly (Tilney, 75), McDaid (Tully, 89)

Subs not used: Devlin, Kelly, Ramsey, Gilmour

Referee: Steven Gregg (Ballyclare)

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph