Belfast Telegraph

Ballymena & Provincial League round-up, November 23

In the Intermediate Division, Newtowne closed the gap on Brantwood after a hard fought 4-3 win over Carniny.

Billy Doran put Newtowne in front in the fifth minute then Carniny equalised with a penalty converted by Michael O'Mullan in the 20th minute after Newtowne had a man sent off for hand-ball inside the box. Jake Armstrong put Carniny in front with a sweet free kick in the 35th minute.

Newtowne came back with goals scored by Billy Doran and Owen Kelly, then added a fourth in the 55th minute scored by Ryan Logue. Carniny got a third goal with Jake Armstrong scoring in the 68th minute, but could not find another equaliser.

Desertmartin had a 4-0 win over FC Ballynure, thanks to a hat-trick from Chris Kerr with goals scored in the fifth, 10th and 15th minute. With time  running down, Robin Patton scored number four in the 87th minute.

Ballynure Old Boys and Dunloy drew 1-1 in a very tight game. Dunloy went in front on the fifth minute and held the lead until David Higgins scored the equaliser in the 85th minute.

In the Junior 1 Divison, Castle Star, away to Antrim Rovers, went in front after Warren Brown scored in the seventh minute before Alan Jones equalised in the 35th minute. Warren Brown scored his second goal in the 42nd minute and Castle held this lead and secured the win, after Dean Meneely scored in the 80th minute.

Ballyclare Comrades Reserves dropped their first league points in a 2-2 draw against Killymoon Rangers Reserves. An own goal put the Comrades in front in the seventh minute before Ryan McIlwaine equalised in the 45th minute. Aaron Lindsay converted a penalty for the Comrades in the 55th minute then, in the 75th minute, Kevin Kelly converted a penalty for Killymoon for a share of the points.

Carnmoney FC and Woodlands shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Paul Addis put Woodlands in front in the fifth minute and Kenny Reith equalised for Carnmoney in the 40th minute. Jonny Parkes put Woodlands back in front in the 60th minute before, in stoppage time, Darren Jordan scored the equaliser for Carnmoney.

Mallusk Athletic, with goals scored by Ross Middleton (2) and Paul Brown, were three in front of Desertmartin Swifts at half time but the Swifts came back to score twice in the second half, causing Mallusk a few problems.

Moyola took the points from Remo FC by winning 4-3 in the Junior Two Division. An own goal and goals from Travis Rankin and Conor Taggart saw Moyola three goals clear before Neil McMahon and Adam Agnew scored for Remo. Kieran Loughrey scored number four for Moyola and Jason Brannon number three for Remo.

FC Whiteabbey had a good away win at Carniny Amateurs II. Goals from Martin Cousins, Conor Mullan and Jonny Montgomery saw Whiteabbey three clear before Aaron Henderson pulled a goal back for Carniny in the 80th minute. Gerard Southam completed the scoring on the day.

Cookstown RBL and Ballyclare North had no goals between them in their game at half time, but goals from Ricky McMenemy (2), Dean Campbell and Andy Kelso won the game 4-2, with Barry Simpson and Stuart Montgomery scoring for North End.

Ballynure Old Boys ‘B' beat FC Larne 3-2 with Ryan Stewart (2) and James Goodman scoring for Ballynure and Ryan Cash and Cameron Ruys for FC Larne

In the Junior Three Division, Red Star lost 7-4 to Brantwood Reserves with Brantwood scoring through Mark McCann (3), Ross Early (2), Seamus McClenaghan and Steven Andrews.

Wakehurst Strollers and Clough Rangers Athletic shared the points in a 1-1 draw, with Jon Alexander scoring for the Strollers and Gary Hamilton for Clough.

3rd Ballyclare Old Boys had an off-day in the Junior Four Division against Krag Albion, who scored nine goals through Dean Haggan (5), Ryan Clokey (2), Paul Crothers and Andrew Benson without reply.

Forthriver FC and Monkstown shared the points in a 3-3 draw with Alan McVeigh (2) and Bryan Stewart on the mark for Forthriver.

Mallusk Athletic Reserves, with two goals scored by Michael McCord and Matt Fegan in the 20th and 35th minutes, saw them collect all three points against Carnlough Swifts.

Brantwood went in front in the Crawford Cup second round against Magherafelt Sky Blues in the 20th minute through an own goal and Fintan McCartney scored a second to seal the win in the 70th minute.

In the Crawford Cup third round, Rathcoole FC met junior team Glengormley United, who never really got into the game with Rathcoole scoring seven without reply.

Tobermore United Reserves, with four goals scored by James McGohan and one by Matt Hughes, beat Magherafelt Sky Blue Reserves 5-1 in the Canada Trophy first round. Chimney Corner Reserves, with a brace of goals from Chris McIlroy, led Rathcoole FC Reserves 2-0 at half time. Rathcoole came back to level the game and with the team still level after extra time, penalties were taken with the Corner scoring their first four and Rathcoole missing three of theirs.

FC Ballynure Reserves were at home to Sport & Leisure Swifts Reserves, but an own goal and one from Jon Allison were not enough, as the Sports scored seven through Darren Gallagher (4), Patrick McDonnell (2) and Steven Quinn.

AFC Carrick, away to Cookstown Olympic in the Canada Trophy second round, led 3-0 at half time with goals scored by Michael Deignan (2) and Andrew Scott. Cookstown came back to score two goals in the second half through Ryan Devlin and Chris Eastwood, but failed to get the equalising goal.

1st Carrickfergus Old Boys had Newington YC II as visitors with Newington scoring seven without reply.

In the County Antrim Junior Shield third round, Ballysillan Swifts, with goals scored by Darren Cosby in the 21st minute and Paul Mallon in the 28th minute, won against Aquinas to take their place in the fourth round at home to Castlewellan Town.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph