| 11°C Belfast

Belfast Telegraph Championship round-up, January 31

All the latest from Championship One and Two:

Championship One


Bangor 3 Dundela 1

Bangor's opener came on 14 minutes when striker Richard Gibson headed home Hall's corner on the left from four yards. A dogged Dundela defence held out as Hall and Gibson had a couple of fine efforts well saved before the visitors had their first real chance, but winger Andrew Simms' drive from the left was over the crossbar. The Seasiders went two-up on 44 minutes, as Gibson knocked the ball on for the alert McDowell to fire home from four yards. The home side went three-up on 55 minutes when Dundela defender David Gibson brought namesake Richard down in the box. McDowell slammed the spot-kick into the bottom left hand corner. The consolation goal arrived late on when striker Kyle Dillon gave home keeper Darren Gibbons no chance with a low drive into the left corner of the net from the edge of the box.


PSNI 3 Armagh City 3

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Armagh took the lead in the 42nd minute, when Hoey’s low cross was duly converted by the grateful Murray. The Police were awarded a penalty in the 44th minute which captain Berry blasted into the roof of the net. Armagh didn’t clear their lines in the 62nd minute the Police took a deserved lead. Berry swung a corner into the danger area where Joe McWilliams hooked the ball into the roof of the net. McWilliams was at it again in the 70th minute when he finished off Agnew’s low cross for a 3-1 lead. Montgomery scored direct from the free kick with 15 minutes to play, and Armagh thought they had levelled, when Murray slid the ball home only to be denied by the linesman’s flag. Then in the 86th minute, Murray's low cross found Moore who hit the back of the net for the equaliser.


H&W Welders 3 Loughgall 0

Another three league points for the Welders at Tillysburn, where the home team controlled proceedings from start to finish. The opening goal for the Welders came from Ryan Deans after 20 minutes, nodding past Ferguson in the visitor’s goal. With the game being bossed by the Welders, it was now a series of shots at the Loughgall goal but mainly off the target. Two minutes remaining of the first half saw Paul Dickson go on a run towards goal and go down in the box. Referee McIlwrath had no hesitation in awarding a penalty and Michael McClellan slotted home. It was a question of how many goals would the very few frozen spectators witness, and indeed it was only going to be one more, and that was again from top scorer McClellan, when he coolly lobbed the advancing Ferguson to make it three.


Lisburn Distillery 2 Ballyclare Comrades 6

Comrades took the lead from a corner by Adam McCart and an unmarked Andrew Doyle headed into the net. Andrew Simpson finished off a nice move when set up by Gary Brown for 2-0, but Distillery were back in the game with a goal from Martin Jones whose whipped cross into the area caught on the wind and flew over the head of Flood. It was no surprise when Comrades went 3-1 ahead although Simpson’s effort was deflected off Darren Nixon. Randal Reid picked up the loose ball to skip his way into the box, before coolly slotting low into the net. On 42 minutes, Distillery pulled a goal back as Flood parried a swirling effort onto the crossbar. The ball dropped four yards out to the clinical Sean Southam, who slotted home. Comrades added a fifth goal as Brown once again ran onto the ball jinking his way into the box before planting the ball into the net from close range. Andrew Simpson grabbed his hat-trick firing home a powerful shot.


Championship Two


Banbridge Town 3 Sport & Leisure Swifts 2

A rousing opening 19 minutes produced four goals in Baltic conditions at Crystal Park. John Murphy raced in on the blind side to get his head to Conor Downey's delivery and send Town into an early lead. Swifts were awarded what seemed like a fortuitous penalty for hand-ball after eight minutes but keeper Stephen Croft pushed Ciaran Gargan's spot-kick away. However, there was nothing he could do when Darren Gallagher rose above Town's defenders to place his header into the bottom corner after 15 minutes. Conor Downey converted a free kick from the edge of the box with a low drive and Gallagher again pounced on a loose ball in the box to notch his second and level things at 2-2. With 90 minutes on the clock, Mattie McCartan raced through and finished magnificently to send the home support into raptures.


Annagh United 0 Limavady United 6

Limavady were a constant threat, and it was no surprise when McFadden opened the scoring on 22 minutes, when he struck the ball sweetly from20 yards, low into the bottom right corner following a corner kick. A good attacking run down the left saw McIvor’s hard low cross into the box stabbed home by Carlin at the second attempt for number two. Limavady were rampant, and the third duly arrived on 35 minutes through a deft touch from Carlin when he was first to Friel's low cross. Brown worked the space to cross from wide left for Friel to tap in from close range on 58th minute and McFadden stroked the ball home for his second and his side's fifth on 80 minutes. Friel put the icing on the cake when he scored Limavady’s sixth with a nonchalant chip from just outside the box.


Portstewart 0 Moyola Park 1 

The first chance fell to the visitors when Stewart pulled the ball back for Dowie to shoot but Madison made the save. In the 40th minute, Campbell whipped in a dangerous free kick for the home side, but none of his team mates got on the end of the ball. With the first half coming to a close, Portstewart broke down the left and the ball was cut back for a shot on goal, only for McQuillan make an excellent block and prevent a goal. Moyola put a lot of pressure on the home side at the start of the second half, with both Wilkinson and Gallagher having good efforts saved by Maddison. Midway through the second half, the visitors broke the deadlock when a free kick by McAllister was placed into the net by Robbie Lucas for what proved to be the winning goal.


Ballymoney United 2 Dollingstown 6

Ballymoney dominated the first half with a strong wind behind them and went in front from the penalty spot on five minutes, when right back Francis McKenna fired home. Dollingstown equalised on 29 minutes through leading scorer Ritchie Thompson but on 35 minutes, Ballymoney regained the lead with a wind-assisted free kick. Dollingstown equalised again on 42 minutes through Michael Fegan, who tapped into the empty net after the keeper spilled a Brian Adair shot. Dollingstown went in front for the first time on 55 minutes through Thompson again when he flicked home from a corner. Brian Adair scored his second goal in two games when his wind assisted cross went straight into the net and Fegan netted his second of the game with a great header from another corner. Thompson completed his hat trick on 79 minutes to wrap up three valuable points.


Tobermore United 1 Lurgan Celtic 2

Tobermore entertained league leaders Lurgan Celtic at Fortwilliam Park where the weather turned nasty after five minutes and the referee decided to bring the teams off when a hailstone storm came beating down. The teams were back out 10 minutes later and with eight minutes, Daniel Ryan’s shot took a wicked deflection and ended up in the Tobermore net. United had the better of the play in the second half and were wasteful with their chances, but in the 53rd minute, Glasgow found Deane on the edge of the box from a corner kick and his well-struck shot rattled the top left corner for a well-deserved equaliser. Tobermore kept probing but Celtic looked dangerous on the counter and with 13 minutes left, the league leaders scored the winner when Raymond Fitzpatrick netted against the run of play. 


Queens University 1 Newington YC 0

Queen’s scored after 17 minutes when Owain Beggs’ right wing cross found James Ferrin who fired into the net from 15 yards. On the half hour, Mark Prenter broke clear and was brought down as he tried to round Newington keeper Dean Smyth. James Ferrin’s spot-kick hit the underside of the crossbar, bounced down and Ferrin followed up and struck the ball into the net, but the ref disallowed the goal, as no other player had touched the ball. After the restart, the game became increasingly ill-tempered and Prenter of Queen’s and Newington’s Stevie Brennan were sent off after an altercation. Newington dominated the latter part of the game but amid a late flurry of yellow cards Queen’s hung on for their first ever win against Newington.