Belfast Telegraph

Belfast Telegraph Championship round-up, May 2

All the latest from Championship Two:

Tobermore United 3 Dollingstown 1

This was Dollingstown’s first ever visit to Fortwilliam Park and, despite it being a meaningless last game of the season for both clubs, it turned out to be quite entertaining with three goals inside the first 15 minutes, and both sides keen to wrap proceedings up with a win.

Neil Lamont struck first when he headed the hosts in front with barely five minutes gone, but within two minutes, Dollingstown were back on level terms when Marty Hughes slid in at the back post to make it 1-1.

Hugo Batista restored Tobermore’s lead with a well-taken goal in the 12th minute, and despite both sides creating a number of good chances, it took until the 80th minute for goal number four to arrive, and the honor of scoring the final goal of the season at Fortwilliam Park fell to substitute Conor Deane, who outwitted his close marker with a quick 180 degree turn and shot from outside the box that gave keeper Gavin O’Neill no chance.


Annagh United 1 Lurgan Celtic 1

Both teams took time to settle into the game and as a result, Annagh's first real chance came on 20 minutes, when Shea Campbell rounded McCorry only to see his strike cleared off the line. Four minutes later Ciaran Fox was off his line quickly to dive low and save Fitzpatrick's drive.

It was the home side who opened the scoring, when Jaime Gardiner got ahead of his marker and found the net on 29 minutes.

Celtic keeper McCorry was subbed not long after, and his replacement saved well on 40 minutes, when faced with a double effort from Philip Craig and Francis McCann, Matty Brown shot his effort just over on the stroke of half time.

Four minutes into the restart on 49 minutes, Shea Campbell's effort was tipped over and Craig headed the resulting corner just wide.

Jay Gardiner could have bagged a brace on 55 minutes, but his effort found the side-netting. Bad luck for young Ryan Coulter on 58 minutes though when his trailing leg was adjudged to have brought his man down, and Fitzpatrick struck a fine penalty high to Fox's left corner drawing the sides level.

The visitors did push for a second, but Annagh had Fox to thank on 76 and 87 minutes, when he saved well twice from the lively Fitzpatrick.

Fitting perhaps that the two sides shared a point apiece, as they both take a well deserved break before preparations begin for next season's challenge in Championship One.


Glebe Rangers 3 Moyola Park 3

Moyola traveled to the Radia Stadium in Ballymoney on Saturday to take on Glebe Rangers in their final game of the season. 

The visitors opened the scoring after 15 seconds, when four passes from kick off saw Healy cross for Dowie to fire the ball in off the cross bar for his 31st goal of the season. Three minutes later, a corner from Gray was fired wide by Dowie. With seven minutes on the clock, a ball into Moyola penalty area from the right was knocked in by Kennoway for 1-1. A minute later, McDowell saw his effort saved by Farniok. 

Midway through the first half, Healy put the visitors back in front when he fired past McKendry from just inside the box. With five minutes left in the first half, Farniok saved a shot from McDowell. With the first half coming to a close, a foul by Kelly resulted in a penalty, which McDowell fired past Farniok for 2-2. 

Moyola made a change for the second half with Lucas replacing Black. In the 51st minute, McDowell beat McQuillan and fired a ball across goal which just eluded a team mate. Glebe should have gone in front in the 62nd minute, however, a goal-bound shot from McDowell was blocked by Stewart.

Two minutes later, McQuillan scored his first goal of the season following a cross from the right. In the 69th minute, Gray saw an effort saved by McKendry and, a minute later, the visitors replaced Barrow with Taggart. 

With eleven minutes left, the home side replaced Marks, who was playing his last game with Kirlew. With 5 minutes left, a great ball from McDowell found Kennoway inside the box, and he slotted the ball past Farniok to make the score 3-3.  A minute later, Magill replaced Dobbin for Glebe and with two minutes remaining, Bradley replaced Healy for the visitors.  The chance of the game was in the last minute when a cross by Bradley was hit over by Gallagher.

This was a tough game for both teams in very difficult conditions and saw Chris Dowie finish on 31 goals for the visitors and Moyola finish in sixth place on 48 points. 

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph