| 4.3°C Belfast

Championship round-ups, February 8

Latest round-ups:

Championship Two

Annagh United 3 Portstewart 3

Annagh started the livelier as Acheson's 30-yard freekick touched the bar, while McCann's individual effort also struck the woodwork and bounced just in front of the line three minutes later.

Against the run of play though, it was Portstewart's Turner who took advantage of a misplaced McCann header to strike low past Wright to give his side the lead.

In the 25th minute, Moody fired wide following good work from Bradley and Annagh's Paget put his effort narrowly past the post on the half hour.

Madison's save saw Shea Campbell denied and he was again on form to tip over Jay Gardiner's long range drive. With a minute to the break, Forgrave found himself onside only to hit the bar from distance.

A rejuvenated Annagh turned up in the second half. The opening flourish saw Gardiner force Madison to save, and Campbell and Craig efforts went begging as Forgrave's audacious chip found Wright on hand to tip over.

With 55 minutes played, Annagh's persistence paid off when McCann's cross was followed by a trademark McCordick turn and strike to draw the sides level.

Annagh saw light ahead and in the 62nd minute Stephen Acheson's half volley hit the roof of the net to put the hosts in front.

Annagh made it three in 10 minutes when Philly Craig headed in McCann's pinpoint free delivery. With 15 minutes to play, McCordick's effort was well smothered by Madison, who was on hand a moment later to parry away Gardiner's effort.

Portstewart didn't give up and grabbed one back in the 83rd minute when Doherty's back-flick header beat a static Wright. Shea Campbell went straight at goal from the centre only to see his shot deflected, while substitute Stretton's shot looked top corner- bound only for Madison to save on the 90 minute mark.

Referee McIlwrath signalled three minutes to play and Ryan Murphy was unlucky not to find Shea Campbell free in the six yard box.

The Seahawks had one last effort in the 94th minute as the ball broke to Moody on the edge of the box and he made no mistake finding the bottom corner past and outstretched Wright, snatching a point in the process for the North Coast men.

Moyola Park 1 Newington 0

Moyola Park entertained Newington YC at the Mill Meadow on Saturday looking to build on last week’s victory at Limavady.

The first chance fell in the 10th minute when a mistake by C Brannigan in the visitor’s defence let the ball go to Dowie, who saw his shot go wide of the target.

In the 18th minute, a dangerous corner from S Brannigan at the other end was punched clear by Farniok. Moyola thought they had opened the scoring in the 25th minute following great work by Paul, only to have the goal from Dowie ruled out as the striker was offside.

A minute later at the other end, Finlay shot wide for the visitors. In the 31st minute, a cross by Burns for Newington found Finlay, who saw his header saved by Farniok.

The home side opened the scoring when Walsh found Gallagher on the right and his cross was tapped in by Dowie for his 17th goal of the season.

A minute later, Farniok was called into action when he tipped over from a shot by Burns on the right. The visitors ended the half with the last chance; however, McGovern fired his shot wide to leave the half time score 1-0 to the home side.

Moyola had the first chance of the second half, however McConnell shot wide. They made their first change in the 66th minute with Curtis replacing Paul.

Two minutes later, Quinn saw his shot on goal saved by Farniok. The visitors made a change in the 70th minute with McCalt replacing Finlay.

A minute later, Newington continued to push for an equaliser and a cross by C Brannigan was met by Quinn, who saw his header saved by Farniok.

In the 72nd minute, R Brannigan saw his long range effort hit the far post and go wide. The visitors made their second change in the 78th minute with Darbroski replacing S Brannigan.

With 10 minutes left, McGovern fired a freekick wide for Newington and the home side made their second change with five minutes remaining with McFadden replacing McConnell.

With the game in injury time, Farniok made a great save from McGovern which left the final score 1-0 to the home side.

It sees Moyola’s recent run increase to five wins, three draws and one defeat in their last nine league games.

Moyola’s next game is on Saturday 15 February in the Coca-Cola Intermediate Cup when they welcome Armagh City FC to the Mill Meadow with a 1.30pm kick off.

Coca Cola Intermediate Cup (Round 4)

Tobermore United 0 Roe Rovers 0 (AET)

(Tobermore won 4-2 on penalties)

At the third attempt, this Tobermore v Roe Intermediate Cup tie was eventually played on Saturday with the home side eventually emerging as victors.

The Limavady men had nothing to lose as on paper Tobermore were firm favourites to progress, but they showed from the start that they weren’t going to be a pushover, playing some neat football.

That said, it was the home side that looked most dangerous in front of goal with Steven Lyons and Trevor Parkhill both testing ‘keeper Gregory O’Brien early on,

At the other end, Tobermore ‘keeper and man of the match, Paul Wells, was a spectator for long periods but when called upon he made some excellent saves.

After a bright start by the visitors to the second half, Tobermore began to take control of the game creating a number of great chances but the Rovers ‘keeper was in top form and kept his side in the game with a string of great saves.

The 90 minutes passed without a goal, as did the two periods of extra time, but Tobermore have Wells to thank for keeping them in the tie with a super save from the energetic Darren Henderson near the end.

It was now down to the dreaded penalty shoot out and again, Wells was the hero.

Sean Heneghan smashed home the first spot kick to put Tobermore ahead, while Henderson failed again to beat Wells, who saved brilliantly at the base of his right hand post.

James McGahan, Trevor Parkhill and Gareth McLaughlin all scored from the spot for Tobermore, as did Anthony Clyde and Martin Harkin for Rovers, but Wells pulled of another great save from Matty Hamilton to put Tobermore through to round five for a home tie against Ardglass.

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph