Belfast Telegraph

Championship round-up September 21

All the latest action from Championship One & Two.

Belfast Telegraph Championship One

H&W Welders 3 Lisburn Distillery 3

Lisburn Distillery turned their attentions back to league action after last week's disappointing defeat at the hands of Dundela, with Distillery going into this game with nine points at Tillysburn Park.

The Welders were one up on six minutes, as great speed from Ryan Deane saw him hit a low cross only for the unfortunate Kris Pike to put the ball past Robinson and into his own net.

Distillery were shell-shocked on 32 minutes, as a free kick from Mark McGuiness hurtled into the top corner of Robinson's net, leaving him with no chance of saving it.

Distillery pulled one back almost immediately, as fantastic vision from Ben Browne saw him play in David Wright and he volleyed Robin Van Persie style into the back of the Welders net.

Shortly after this goal, Stuart Beattie of the Welders was shown a straight red card for a high tackle.

The Welders then scored through ex-Glentoran striker Matty Burrows.

This goal was not so spectacular, as a goal-mouth scramble found Burrows in space and his shot found the top corner to give the visitors a mountain to climb.

However, credit to Lisburn Distillery as they continued to press hard, and subsequently reduced the deficit to 3-2, when a fine run by Kris Pike found Wilson, who turned well before placing the ball past Tony Miskelly.

It was no surprise when further drama unfolded before half time, as Jimmy McIlhagga tied the game 3-3 with a superb strike.

And despite several chances that was how it finished.

Dundela 2 Dergview 2

Dundela surrendered their 100% record to a Dergview side that battled hard for every ball.

Straight from the kick-off, Dundela were awarded a free kick and Murphy's shot was pushed out by Dergview keeper Beggs to the feet of Owens, who saw his tap in from two yards go the wrong side of the upright.

Dundela took the lead on 23 minutes when Gilliland waltzed passed five players and placed the ball in the corner of the net.

On 60 minutes, from a poor clearance Sproule made up for a first half miss by scoring.

The game continued end-to-end and Dundela were rewarded on 73 minutes, when a Murphy free kick was headed home by Owens.

Dundela added to their misfortune on 91 minutes when from another poor clearance, the ball was put back into the Dundela box for Leckey to level the game.

Institute 5 Carrick Rangers 1

Institute maintained their impressive start to the season with a convincing 5-1 win over title favourites Carrick Rangers at the Riverside Stadium.

The game was over as a contest after half an hour, by which time Stute had moved into a commanding 3-0 lead, courtesy of a McVeigh own goal and efforts from Carlin and McFadden.

Two goals also came from man-of-the-match McCauley in the second half.

Ballyclare Comrades 3 Limavady United 2

It was the vistors looking dangerous from set-pieces who opened the scoring in the ninth minute, when Ryan Mullan headed in from five yards from a corner.

Comrades responded quickly with a equaliser six minutes later, when Chris Trussell blasted an unstoppable effort into the top corner of the net from 22 yards.

A minute into first half injury-time, the home side grabbed the lead when Andrew Simms got to the ball just before the keeper and clipped a delicate effort inside the far post from 12 yards.

The second half was a tight affair but it had an explosive finish.

On 84 minutes, another corner proved Comrades' undoing, with Ryan Mullan heading in unchallenged from four yards.

With the game looking to be heading for a draw, the home side snatched victory with virtually the last touch. Daniel Smith headed in from six yards from a corner in the sixth minute of added time.

Knockbreda 1 Larne 0

Knockbreda entertained Larne for the first time in a competitive fixture, and edged the match by a single goal.

The first half ended goalless but it wasn't for the lack of effort from Dixon in the Breda midfield. He rattled the bar, had a shot deflected inches past the post and also forced the Larne keeper into a great save.

The second half was only one minute old when Chines drifted past two defenders and set up Wright to tap in what proved to be the winner.

Belfast Telegraph Championship Two

Wakehurst 0 Amagh City 2

Wakehurst suffered their second consecutive defeat in this league encounter against Armagh City at Mill Meadow.

Stephen Murray  fired his team ahead after 15 minutes curling his shot from the edge of the 18 yard area over the outstretched arms of Marc Maybin, who will be disappointed he didn't get a firm hand to it.

The visitors were reduced to ten men after 64 minutes, Shea McGerrigan receiving a red card for an offence that only the referee seemed to witness.

But even this couldn't deny City a second goal on 85 minutes from Matt Hynds, after Young and Muir failed to clear.

Tobermore United 0 Banbridge Town 2

Banbridge Town remain firmly on top of IFA Championship Two after securing all three points in a keenly fought encounter at Tobermore on Saturday.

On a bumpy surface, Tobermore opened brightly and 18- year-old full back Ryan Winton found himself clear on goal after eight minutes, only for a superb block from Banbridge centre back Stephen Greene which prevented the home team from taking an early lead.

In the 28th minute, a Greene lob sent Steven O'Neill racing clear into the box only to be upended by keeper Wells, who saw yellow for his foul. The resultant spot kick was confidently put away by Stephen Jones to give Town a 1-0 lead.

This was Jones's second spot kick in a fortnight and he retains his 100% record.

Despite Tobermore's best efforts, it was Banbridge who were to find the net.

In the 80th minute, a Kernaghan corner was met by the head of Greene as he rose above everyone to plant the ball past Wells and put Town into a 2-0 lead.

It was Banbridge's day, and a very assured performance will instill further confidence in Ryan Watson's improving outfit.

Lurgan Celtic 0 Portstewart 5

Lurgan Celtic suffered another heavy defeat, this time on home soil, when high flying Portstewart thumped five past the Hoops.

From a corner, the away side found the net to make it 1-0.

The away side doubled their advantage in the 28th minute.

Celtic's misery continued three minutes later when keeper Fox brought down the centre forward and received a yellow card.

The Portstewart penalty taker made no mistake to make it 3-0.

The away side scored a fourth on the stroke of half time.

Portstewart hit a final goal to complete a miserable afternoon for the youthful Hoops.

PSNI 5 Annagh United 0

The PSNI will face a much stiffer test on Tuesday evening when they play Armagh City in the top-of-the-table clash.

In the opening minute of the game Annagh were reduced to 10 men when Ian Ratiner was sent off.

Adamczyk duly converted the spot kick to give the Police a 1-0 lead.

For the remainder of the first half, the Police were unable to break down the hard-working aggressive Annagh team.

In the second half, Annagh were reduced to nine men when another defender was sent off for a second yellow card.

Ashton McDermott capitalised on the situation scoring with a cracking 20 yard drive. The lively Peter Steele added two further goals for the Police before McDermott scored a fifth with a tap-in.

Queen's University 0 Moyola Park 0

Stephen McConnell had an early chance for Moyola, running on to a through ball and shooting over keeper Declan Brown.

Mark Prenter then struck a 20 yard shot but it was straight at the keeper.

Queen's came closest when Aaron Thompson shot wide from 12 yards.

Thompson had the best chance of the second half but his close range effort was well blocked on the line as the game petered out into an inevitable scoreless draw.

Chimney Corner 1 Newington 4

Newington took the lead on 16 minutes through Majecu and added to their tally on 23 minutes when Cahill scored a second.

It was 3-0 just before the interval when Walsh netted for the visitors. Ryan pulled one back for the Corner but Majecu's second goal of the game in the 89th minute give the league's new boys a comfortable 4-1 victory.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph