Belfast Telegraph

Chapman on the spot to end Warren's heartbreak

By Harry Allen

Colin Chapman was the Warren Young Men hero as they finally ended a run of defeats in the South Antrim League's Ironside Cup final.

After losing in no fewer than five previous Boxing Day deciders, man-of-the-match Chapman scored twice, both from the penalty spot, to put the heartbreak both for himself and the club to bed as Warren YM recorded a 3-1 extra time victory over Sandy Row at Stanley Park.

It was fitting that Chapman took the plaudits as he is the only survivor of all previous five final defeats.

Sandy Row had dominated the first half, but they failed to turn their supremacy into goals and the teams went in scoreless at the break.

They were left to rue the fact that they couldn't break the deadlock as Warren YM went ahead early in the second half when Chapman scored his first, keeping his cool to slot in from the spot.

Sandy Row drew level when Curtis Moorhead netted with a diving header, which took the game into extra time.

Two minutes in, Warren YM took the lead for the second time in the game when Willy Hull swivelled and sent an unstoppable shot into the net.

The cup was only secured right at the death, though, when Chapman stepped up to the penalty spot again and scored his second of the match and finally bring an end to their hoodoo.

Elsewhere, Castlewellan lifted the Bobby Dalzell Cup with a 2-0 win over Mourne Rovers.

Stevie Trainor gave them a 1-0 lead shortly before half time with a 30 yards free kick and he then added the second five minutes after the break. Sean Dornan thought he had scored a third but his strike was ruled out for offside.

Westbank United beat HML 3-0 in the North West Saturday Morning League's Gilfillan Cup final.

Sean McCarron was the hero for Westbank, in their fourth final in five years, as he scored twice. Sean Paul Downey scored the other goal.

* The North West FA's Craig Memorial Cup final between Moyola Park and Coleraine Reserves was postponed yesterday due to a frozen pitch at Fortwilliam Park, Tobermore.

The teams will try again tomorrow afternoon, with the match down for a 1pm kick-off.

The clubs are hoping for a bumper crowd as there is no Premiership programme tomorrow afternoon.

The Kehoe Cars Bessbrook Cup final, in the Carnbane League, has been postponed indefinitely on health and safety grounds.

A floodlight at the Newry Showgrounds that blew down last week hasn't yet been repaired.

Carnbane League officials declined to switch the match to a new venue and they will meet within the next few days to decide a new date for the match.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph