Belfast Telegraph

Warrenpoint sensation Lorcan Forde set for Premier League trial

Warrenpoint Town 1-3 Linfield

By Steven Beacom

Warrenpoint sensation Lorcan Forde is set for a trial with a Premier League side.

The 18-year-old forward will be out to impress Burnley over a three-day period next week, starting on Monday.

Warrenpoint boss Matthew Tipton said: "I believe he could go and play in England but he has to go over and get a feel for the place and the atmosphere and make sure it is the right club for him."

Forde delivered another impressive performance on Tuesday evening as his side were beaten 3-1 by Linfield, despite taking an early lead.

Former Glentoran defender Jimmy Callacher scored twice as the Blues moved ahead of Cliftonville into fourth in the Danske Bank Premiership.

They won't win the title this term, but David Healy is determined to enjoy a strong finish.

Linfield are not playing with the confidence and style that swept them to last season's treble but the champions have improved from a painful Christmas period and will be a dangerous outfit in the remaining months.

Callacher's double was followed by a calm headed 85th-minute finish from Mark Haughey, who connected with the umpteenth well delivered corner from Kirk Millar.

You get the feeling Healy has been working on set-pieces because they were excellent.

Callacher's brace also came courtesy of corners. He powerfully headed home a vital equaliser on 24 minutes and with 16 left on the clock he was first to react in the box from another inviting Millar cross.

Linfield deserved the three points but Warrenpoint played their part in an entertaining fixture. The home side took the lead on 19 minutes through Alan Davidson after outstanding forward play from youngster Lorcan Forde.

With 16 minutes played, teenage striker Forde caused havoc in the box before Davidson forced Gareth Deane into a smart save.

There was no denying Davidson moments later with 18-year-old Forde again at the heart of confusion in the Linfield defence with Town's No.16 alert enough to poke home.

It was a bitter blow to the Blues but they didn't let their heads drop. Within seconds of going behind, Jordan Stewart had a shot superbly blocked by Stephen Moan.

Healy did not have long to wait until the equaliser with Callacher heading in for his first of the season from a Millar corner which the Town bench felt should not have been awarded.

Boosted by that leveller and with captain Jamie Mulgrew, on his 500th Linfield appearance, coming to the fore, the men from Windsor Park took control.

The Blues kept coming after the break with Andy Waterworth hitting the bar from Niall Quinn's cross.

Warrenpoint remained lively with Forde testing Deane, but the longer the match progressed the more likely it seemed Linfield would win it. So it proved with Callacher grabbing the vital third goal of the match before Haughey eased any tension in the Linfield camp.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph