| 10.9°C Belfast

Jaded Glenavon more than happy to win ugly, admits Lindsay

Glenavon 1 Warrenpoint Town 0


Decisive factor: Rhys Marshall celebrates his festive winner

Decisive factor: Rhys Marshall celebrates his festive winner

Decisive factor: Rhys Marshall celebrates his festive winner

Rhys Marshall's first-half header ensured Glenavon kept pace at the top with a scrappy 1-0 win over Warrenpoint Town at Mourneview Park.

Marshall diverted home a deflected Andrew Mitchell shot on the half-hour to secure the three points in a game that certainly wasn't the easiest on the eye.

Glenavon assistant coach Kris Lindsay admitted: "The performance was nowhere near where we have been for most of the season, and I think we looked a bit tired.

"But at Christmas, you have a busy schedule and it's important you pick up your points, and we told the boys before the game it was important we didn't come away with anything less than three points."

The visitors were first to seriously threaten as Darren Murray fired low across the face of goal, while Stephen Murray was found unmarked on the penalty spot by Sean Mackle but his header missed the target.

The hosts had two good chances of their own, Marc Griffin firing tamely at Jonny Parr and Marshall striking the post before breaking the deadlock.

Mitchell's placed shot was well blocked by Conall McGrandles, only for the rebound to drop straight into the path of Marshall, who did well to react and head it into the gaping goal.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

The Lurgan Blues could have doubled their lead just after the interval but Andy McGrory skimmed a shot just wide, while Marty Murray found the side netting and Darren Murray prodded the ball straight at keeper Jonny Tuffey at the other end.

As Warrenpoint sought the equaliser, the game again descended into an error-ridden affair, but the visitors did have one more opportunity five minutes from time.

Darius Roohi was sent in behind by an accurate ball over the top and, after Tuffey parried away his effort, Stephen Murray miscued on the rebound and pulled it well wide from the edge of the box.

Frustrated Town boss Matthew Tipton said: "I thought we were the better team, and that's the story of our season. We have to take (our chances).

"We need to keep believing we're doing the right thing, and now we have two games against Ards and Glentoran where we have to take six points."

GLENAVON: Tuffey, Marshall, Marron, Doyle, Burns, McGrory (Foley, 69 mins), Sykes, Clingan, Daniels, Mitchell, Griffin (Hamilton, 72 mins (Lindsay, 90 mins)). Unused subs: Norton, Jenkins.

WARRENPOINT: Parr, Reilly (Moan, 46 mins), Dane, Wallace, McMenamin, Mackle, McGrandles, McKenna (Roohi, 77 mins), M Murray, D Murphy, S Murphy. Unused subs: Türker, Lyttle, Lynch.

Referee: Tony Clarke (Newtownabbey)

Man of the match: Rhys Marshall

Match rating: 5/10

Top Videos