Belfast Telegraph

Wasteful Candystripes frustrated in Brandywell stalemate

Airtricity Premier League: Derry City 0 Galway United 0

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City were left to rue missed chances as they were held to a disappointing scoreless draw at home to Galway United last night.

The Candystripes had countless opportunities to take all three points in a largely forgettable game, but they failed to find a way past Galway goalkeeper Conor Winn, who himself was far from convincing.

An error from Patrick McClean almost cost Derry on 21 minutes as the defender took a bad touch just outside his own penalty area and gifted the ball to Conor Melody. The Galway man took a touch before playing Vinny Faherty through on goal, but he was denied thanks to Gerard Doherty, who spread himself to block the striker's shot.

That was the kick-start the game needed and McClean almost atoned for his error when he raced down the left and picked out Ronan Curtis whose curling effort had to be pushed away by Winn.

Derry were getting closer as the half time break approached and, after Niclas Vemmelund had an effort cleared off the line from a Barry McNamee corner, Curtis sent a ferocious effort at goal from 20 yards which had to be parried away by a panicked Winn.

The early moments of the second half brought the tempo the game needed but Derry were very fortunate not to fall behind early on when Melody's pull back found Enda Curran, but his effort was brilliantly saved by Doherty.

The hosts were much more impressive, playing with zip in the final third, and they should have opened the scoring on 57 minutes.

Aaron McEneff won the ball in midfield and, with Galway short in numbers, he picked out Lukas Schubert in space on the right. At the same moment Stephen Folan slipped, giving Schubert a clear run on goal but, with only Winn to beat, he sent the ball into the side netting, much to the disbelief of the crowd.

Time was running out for Derry and, in response, Kenny Shiels made two changes, bringing on Ben Doherty and Nathan Boyle in place of McClean and Curtis. The goal that City were craving very nearly arrived on 75 minutes and it was one of the substitutes behind it as Doherty's drilled pass into the area was flicked on by Patterson, past Winn but onto the post and back into the relieved goalkeeper's hands.

Derry: Doherty, Vemmelund, Jarvis, McEneff, McCormack, McNamee (Ward, 83 mins), Patterson, McClean (Doherty, 67 mins), McDermott, Curtis (Boyle, 67 mins), Schubert.

Galway: Winn, Horgan, Ludden, Cantwell, Sinnott (Byrne, 83 mins), Curran (Shanahan, 59 mins), Connolly, Faherty, Melody (Cunningham, 86 mins), Aganovic, Folan.

Referee: Graham Kelly.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph