Belfast Telegraph

Watch: Referee reverses red card decision in bizarre clash between Crusaders and Linfield

And a round-up of the Bet McLean Cup quarter-finals

The most talked-about moment of the Bet McLean League Cup quarter-finals was a bizarre dismissal as Crusaders beat Linfield.

Crusaders' David Cushley was issued with a red card before referee Raymond Hetherington checked with his assistants and instead sent off Linfield's Mark Stafford.

Crusaders were leading 1-0 at the time of the incident and went on to win 2-0.

Watch the incident here:

Crusaders 2-0 Linfield

Crusaders made it three wins from three against Linfield this season with a 2-0 success at Seaview.

Paul Heatley profitted from good work by Jordan Owens to send the Crues into a first-half lead.

The game took a bizarre twist when David Cushley appeared to be sent off before the referee took advice from his assistants and instead issued a red card to Linfield's Mark Stafford.

Crusaders took full advantage when Gavin Whyte doubled the scores in added time, rubbing salt in Linfield's wounds.

Carrick Rangers 0-1 Cliftonville

Rory Donnelly's seventh goal in his last six matches earned Cliftonville a narrow win at Carrick Rangers.

Just after the half-hour mark, Chris Curran's cross found the in-form striker, who side-footed into the bottom corner.

Dungannon Swifts 2-1 Ballyclare Comrades

There was an astonishing finish to this game at Stangmore Park as Dungannon's former Ballinamallard duo sealed a comeback success.

Having missed an earlier penalty, the Comrades looked to have sealed a semi-final spot with an 87th minute Adam McCart goal but Johnny Lafferty's first goal for the Swifts followed seconds after.

And Dungannon weren't done there as man-of-the-moment Ryan Mayse netted an injury time winner.

Ballymena United 3-2 Ards (AET)

Tony Kane netted a 118th minute winner to send the holders into the semi-final.

Ballymena had spurned a two-goal lead as Ards rallied to send the match into extra-time.

Cathair Friel and Gary Thompson had put the hosts 2-0 up by 50 minutes but Michael Ruddy halved the deficit just four minutes later and Jonny Taylor levelled the scores shortly after the hour-mark.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph