| 9.5°C Belfast

Waterford leave Shiels feeling blue in 100th game

Waterford 4 Derry City 0

Rory Feely

Kenny Shiels' big night ended in disappointment as Derry City were outclassed by Waterford at the RSC.

The City boss will only have bad memories of his 100th game in charge of the Candystripes, with his team failing to put in much of a challenge.

Derry could have had the lead on seven minutes when Rory Hale won the ball in midfield and found Ronan Curtis on the left.

The Portsmouth-bound winger raced into the Waterford area and cleverly chipped the ball back to Aaron McEneff, whose right-foot volley had Lawrence Vigouroux rooted to the spot, but the ball flashed the wrong side of the post.

But it was the Blues who snatched the lead on 12 minutes.

McEneff was stationed at the front post and should have cleared Faysel Kasmi's delivery, but he sliced the ball instead into the path of Rory Feely, who drilled it into the net.

It only got worse for City who fell 2-0 behind just two minutes later, and again the goal came from a set-play.

Hery's curling free kick from 30 yards eluded everyone except Izzy Akinade, who bundled the ball into the net. It took 38 minutes before City threatened the Waterford goal as Rory Patterson got on the end of a quick free kick from McEneff, and although the angle was against him, the striker managed to wrap his foot around the ball and it smashed off the outside of Vigoroux's post.

That proved to be a telling moment in the game, as less than 60 seconds later, it was 3-0 Waterford. There was little the Derry City defence could do about this one as Sander Puri picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and drilled an absolute screamer past Gerard Doherty and into the top corner.

Derry showed a bit more fight in the early stages of the second half but Waterford should have made it 4-0 when Conor McDermott misplaced a pass which only sent Courtney Duffus through on goal.

The striker just needed to pull the trigger but he hesitated for a second, allowing McDermott back to make the block.

The danger remained, however, as Duffus pulled the ball back across goal to Akinade who completely fluffed his lines, barely connecting with the ball.

Derry City players were out on their feet in the closing stages, but Waterford remained hungry for more.

Gerard Doherty was able to keep the score down by saving from both Duffus and Akinade in quick succession.

But Waterford would not be denied their fourth and substitute Stanley Aborah curled the ball past Doherty in added time to leave the home fans on their feet at the final whistle.

Waterford: Vigouroux, Browne, Puri, Holohan (Martin 82), Duffus (Walsh 87), Kasmi (Aborah 60), Feely, Webster, Barrett, Hery, Akinade.

Derry City: Doherty, McDermott (Ronan Hale 72), McEneff, McDonagh, Rory Hale (Logue 87), Curtis, Patterson, Toal, Cole, Doyle, Low.

Referee: Rob Rogers

Please log in or register with belfasttelegraph.co.uk for free access to this article.

Already have an account?

Belfast Telegraph