| 10°C Belfast

Wonder goal finishes off City as their wait for league point goes on

Derry City 0 Shamrock Rovers 2


Derry’s Ciaran Coll and Dylan Watts battle for possession

Derry’s Ciaran Coll and Dylan Watts battle for possession

©INPHO/Tommy Dickson

Derry’s Ciaran Coll and Dylan Watts battle for possession

A 'Goal of the Season' contender from Graham Burke helped condemn Derry City to a fourth successive defeat at the Brandywell last night.

With Rovers 1-0 up through Rory Gaffney, Burke stunned everyone with an audacious effort from the halfway line, catching Nathan Gartside out of his goal, which left Derry with a mountain to climb at half time.

It proved to be enough as, despite a valiant effort in the second half, there was just too much for the Candystripes to do, and they continue to sit bottom of the Premier Division was they await their first point.

Declan Devine surprised many by handing youngsters Brendan Barr and Ronan Boyce their first senior starts, but City were well in the game and impressed in the first half hour.

The first heart-stopping moment came on 15 minutes when Sean Hoare's pass back fell short of Alan Mannus, but although David Parkhouse got to the ball first, his shot towards the empty net hit the outside of the post.

Two minutes later more panic in the City penalty area ended with Burke having a clear sight at goal but he could only shoot straight at Gartside.

City, though, were giving the champions as good as they were getting, but the game swung in the visitors' favour on 34 minutes. Burke's low shot towards the corner was brilliantly saved by Nathan Gartside, but Gaffney latched onto the rebound and swept the ball into the empty net from the angle to make it 1-0.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Before City could respond, they found themselves two down when Burke spotted goalkeeper Gartside off his line and placed the ball perfectly over his head from the halfway line - a spectacular strike.

Derry were not lacking in effort in the second half but Rovers were always carrying a threat, and Danny Mandroiu raced clear down the right before firing goalwards, and it needed a strong hand from Gartside to keep it out.

Rovers held on comfortably, though, to pick up only their second win of the season. Derry City's wait, however, continues.

Derry City: Gartside, Boyce, Toal, McJannett (Porter 83), Lafferty, Coll, Malone (Harkin 76), Barr (McLaughlin 83), Patching, Akintunde (Ferry 76), Parkhouse (Fitzgerald 59).

Shamrock Rovers: Mannus, Hoare, Grace, Gannon, Scales, O'Neill, Burke, Mandroiu (Williams 81), Murphy (Lopes 65), Watts (Nugent 75), Gaffney (Greene 65).

Referee: Damien McGraith

Top Videos