| 14.9°C Belfast

Istanbul Basaksehir uncorked by Jack as Burnley go through

Midfielder on the mark once more.


Burnley’s Jack Cork celebrates (Nick Potts/PA)

Burnley’s Jack Cork celebrates (Nick Potts/PA)

Burnley’s Jack Cork celebrates (Nick Potts/PA)

Jack Cork was Burnley’s Europa League hero again as Sean Dyche’s men edged past Istanbul Basaksehir in extra-time and booked a play-off trip to Greece.

The Clarets were held to a goalless draw by their Turkish opponents, replicating last week’s away leg
stalemate, but substitute Cork rifled a 97th-minute winner at Turf Moor as a 1-0 win kept the club’s continental adventure going.

The once-capped England midfielder netted at a similar stage in the previous round to break the deadlock against Aberdeen and he will get the chance to extend his unlikely scoring streak against
Olympiacos next week.

Joe Hart had a night to remember on his home debut, making a series of strong saves in an extended duel with Edin Visca, and has yet to concede after three outings for his new club.

Sean Dyche’s efforts in steering Burnley into Europe earned him considerable praise but he has made it clear the competition must come a clear second behind the Premier League.

As such there were seven changes in his starting XI, with a debut for £15million defender Ben Gibson the most notable.

But it was the recalled Ashley Barnes who was most eager to impress. He barrelled into challenges, chased long balls and almost scrapped his way to an early opener after upending Alexandru Epureanu and finding the side netting.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Phil Bardsley’s long-range drive worked Mert Gunok but Burnley’s possession quickly lost focus. Charlie Taylor forced an error from Gunok when he chased down his clearance, which squirmed free to Aaron Lennon but the winger’s finish lacked the composure of the slaloming run which preceded it.

Basaksehir only woke up in the 10 minutes before the break and could easily have taken the lead. Visca lashed one sighter over the bar but tested Hart’s reactions with his next two attempts.

The first was firmly hit but straight at the keeper, but the second – turned goalwards from seven yards from a Gael Clichy cross – produced a fine reaction save.

Kerim Frei was next to try his luck, but Hart dropped to his right to tip wide.

The 16,583 strong crowd should have been celebrating when Barnes raced unmarked on to Ashley Westwood’s hanging cross but he failed to keep his header down from six yards. Barnes recognised his error instantly, throwing his hands to his head in frustration.

The tie was there to be won and both sides had half-chances, Sam Vokes from a corner and Visca once again failing to get the better of Hart with a skiddy effort.

Emmanuel Adebayor, a familiar face from his Arsenal and Manchester City days, emerged from the Basaksehir bench in the 66th minute and Dyche made a double switch with Cork and Chris Wood entering the fray.

The changes made little difference to a game which had long since lost its zip and extra-time became inevitable when a 90th-minute handball appeal against Junior Caicara was waved away.

Just as he had done against Aberdeen, Cork made the difference.

The visitors were guilty of risible passing at the back but Burnley took full advantage, Jeff Hendrick
orchestrating a patient build-up that ended with the substitute locating the top corner with a clean hit.

An away goal would still have been enough for Basaksehir and after Adebayor missed with a volley and a header there was one last Hart save from Visca to settle matters.

Top Videos