Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

McEneff helps Derry take big stride towards Europe

Shamrock Rovers 0 Derry City 2

By Eoin Wilson

Derry City made it three wins from three against Shamrock Rovers this season as they took a huge step towards Europe with a 2-0 win at Tallaght.

The Candystripes struck at crucial times, with Rovers on top until Aaron McEneff put Derry ahead. Rovers then pushed for the equaliser but were caught out in injury-time when Barry McNamee lobbed the ball home from halfway.

Moments after the Rovers fans held a minute's applause in memory of the late Derry captain Ryan McBride, the game's first opportunity arrived as Lukas Schubert had his pocket picked by Graham Burke on halfway.

The Rovers man surged forward and tried his luck from 30 yards, but the ball went harmlessly over Gerard Doherty's bar.

There was very little between the sides but on 42 minutes Derry almost took the lead in spectacular fashion.

McEneff hit a brilliant 30-yard free-kick but Tomer Chencinski reacted just in time to push the ball down into the penalty area, where Darren Cole looked like he would take advantage only for a nudge in the back to take the chance away.

Rovers dominated after the break and the Candystripes were fortunate not to concede.

Derry stunned Tallaght by taking the lead completely out of the blue on 64 minutes.

After Dean Jarvis' cross was cleared, McNamee got the ball to McEneff, whose shot wrong-footed Chencinski.

Five minutes of added time were signalled at the end of the game, and Rovers won their fifth corner.

Goalkeeper Chencinski even came forward as every Rovers player packed into the area, but it backfired spectacularly. Derry broke and with the goalkeeper scrambling back, McNamee picked his spot from the halfway line, and the ball sailed into the net to make it 2-0 deep in added time.

Shamrock Rovers: Chencinski, Byrne (Boyd 83), Webster, Grace, Finn, Miele, Shaw, McAllister (O'Connor 87), Madden, Clarke, Burke.

Derry City: G Doherty, McDermott, Barry, Cole, B Doherty (Monaghan 65), Curtis, Holden (Jarvis 57), McNamee, McEneff, Schubert (Boyle 81), Patterson.

Referee: Robert Harvey.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph