| 9.3°C Belfast

Milk Cup: Toffees left unstuck as Antrim win with style


Shock troops: Co Antrim's Rhys Clelland celebrates with team-mates after scoring against Everton

Shock troops: Co Antrim's Rhys Clelland celebrates with team-mates after scoring against Everton

Shock troops: Co Antrim's Rhys Clelland celebrates with team-mates after scoring against Everton

The boys from County Antrim caused the biggest upset so far of the 2010 Milk Cup after toppling Everton in a day of shocks in the tournament.

Tiarnan McNicholl and Rhys Clelland were the goalscorers in what will go down as a memorable result for Stephen Graham’s side against defending champions Everton.

It was a remarkable turnaround from the first day of action when Everton ran out 7-0 winners over FC Puebla, while Antrim lost out to Dundalk.

The result also wrecked Everton’s hopes of a treble as they finished outside the top four and miss out on the quarter-finals.

Antrim boss Graham beamed: “We played them two years ago and gave them a good game, but were beaten 3-2 in the end,” he recalls.

“We used that to remind the boys of what can be achieved and that Everton is simply a name, it was 11 against 11.

“In saying that we watched Everton on Monday and knew they were a super side, and it allowed us to identify their dangermen. Some of our lads haven’t had a lot of game time, so we will be making a few changes to get players game time.

“At the end of the day we have 18 players and we want to give everyone their chance.”

Another super showing from a local side in the junior section came from County Tyrone in their 3-0 win over FK Vaag at the University in Coleraine, which has set up a quarter-final date with the might of Chelsea this afternoon.

Aaron Patterson and Sam McKelvey, as well as an own goal from the Norwegians sealed all three points for Tyrone.

Manager Paul Kee said: “We played fairly well even though we lost on Monday, when a couple of fundamental mistakes cost us.

“The lads kept the momentum going into The Vaag match and thankfully we scored three goals and in truth could have had a couple more.

“The whole purpose of the tournament is to give the best players in the county their chance to shine and some are attracting interest, which is a good sign.

“Coaches can try to develop

things in training, but it comes down to the players to put that into place in matches.”

Chelsea booked their spot in the last eight after matching Everton’s goal haul from the first day with a seven-goal rout of their own.

This time the unfortunate victims were Gerry McKee’s Co Armagh side.

Goals from George Cole, Lewis Cole and Ismail Seremba added to a braces from Walter Figueira and Ruben Loftus-Cheek — Cheek’s second brace of the week.

Hapoel Haifa showed they have made a quick adjustment to Milk Cup football with a win on their second day on the north coast, after many years of seeing their local rivals Maccabi Haifa make the trip. Goals from Noam Kolakofsky and Mahmoud Shbat secured all three points against Plymouth, much to the delight of their coach Eli Zehavi.

“We are very happy to get our first win, but we were also very happy after the first day, because I thought we were unfortunate to lose,” Zehavi said.

“We were smarter against Ply

mouth, learning from the first day and were able to get the goals we needed to win the match.

“It is important to improve as the week goes on and it is important to rotate our players.

“It’s the first time here and we’re not used to that type of tempo in the game.”

The boys from Down lost their second game on the bounce when

Japanese newcomers Kashima Antlers ran out 2-0 winners in Limavady.

Spartak Moscow brought Fermanagh down to earth with a 2-0 win, while Londonderry came out on the wrong side of a seven-goal thriller with Swindon Town, losing 4-3. Stephen Tabbitt (2) and Connell Kelly were the boys with Derry’s goals.

Belfast Telegraph