Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Monaco chief Vadim Vasilyev defends players after latest disappointing result

The French giants are struggling towards the foot of the table.

Monaco bosses have refused to hit out at the club’s poor start to the campaign ahead of Tuesday’s Ligue 1 clash with Angers.

The French giants have won just once in their first six matches of the new season, faltering again with Friday’s 1-1 home draw with Nimes.

Vice president Vadim Vasilyev insisted that despite frustrations at the slow start, there would be no finger-pointing.

“Nobody in the club is happy, we are not happy with our place in the standings,” said Vasilyev, with Monaco languishing in 16th in the table.

“But at the same time I have nothing to reproach the players for in the match against Nimes.”

Manager Leonardo Jardim has so far been unable to generate the kind of early-season momentum that led to last term’s second-place finish.

But Vasilyev believes the current set-up has the quality and experience to turn this mini slump on its head.

“We have not had success, but we have to keep working,” Vasilyev told Monaco’s official club website.

“We are gaining momentum match after match; we just have to work harder.”

Angers ground out a goalless draw with Toulouse on Saturday that left boss Stephane Moulin hoping for similar levels of solidity against Monaco.

“We had to try not to distort our game by limiting their strengths,” Moulin told Anger’s official club website.

“It was a very tactical match as both teams left few spaces and opportunities, so a draw was logical.

“Tactically we were solid, so we need to continue like that.”

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph