Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Mourinho and Conte clash as Chelsea march on with Manchester United win

Chelsea 1 Man United 0

By Matt McGeechan

Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho had to be separated as N'Golo Kante's strike sent Chelsea into the FA Cup semi-finals with a 1-0 win over Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

Fourth official Mike Jones had to intervene as Conte and Mourinho had a frank touchline exchange during a feisty contest in which United had Ander Herrera sent off for two bookable offences after 35 minutes.

Kante's second Chelsea goal six minutes into the second half secured a quarter-final win for the Premier League leaders, who won for a club record 13th successive home game and now face Tottenham in the semis.

Hopes of a double in Conte's first season in charge remain alive, while both Kante's Chelsea goals have come against United, who have not beaten the Blues in 12 attempts, since October 2012.

Mourinho, whose side won the EFL Cup last month, had never lost an FA Cup quarter-final. He has now.

David de Gea made fine saves in quick succession to deny Eden Hazard and Gary Cahill, and a smash and grab raid for United appeared possible.

But Herrera was dismissed for two fouls on Hazard following what looked like an edict to target the Belgium playmaker.

Mourinho suffered his biggest defeat in English football when Chelsea won 4-0 in the Premier League last October.

The Portuguese rebuked Conte on that occasion after the Italian had implored the crowd to cheer with Chelsea coasting.

Conte vowed not to tone down his exuberance and he refused to be cowed as Mourinho's men made their presence felt.

Marcos Rojo's challenge from behind on Diego Costa set the tone as United repeatedly resorted to the cynical.

In Marcus Rashford, who declared himself fit following illness to ensure United could field a recognised striker, the visitors had a potent weapon.

His pace and energy made Chelsea's defence nervous and his persistence resulted in a chance for Henrikh Mkhitaryan to fire wide.

Hazard attempted to make the most of the few occasions when Phil Jones' attention was diverted and shot, only for De Gea to turn the ball around the post.

De Gea made an even better save from the corner, as Cahill held off Rojo and shot, only for the keeper to intervene.

Jones soon felled Hazard, United were warned by ref Michael Oliver and moments later Herrera's daft challenge saw him booked for a second time.

There was an eruption of fury and a wry smile from Mourinho, who immediately withdrew Mkhitaryan and sent on Marouane Fellaini.

Mourinho and Conte made their feelings towards each other clear, but Chelsea had the numerical advantage.

Paul Pogba and Kante had been within touching distance of each other in the first half. But a lapse from Pogba was punished by his fellow France international as Kante drilled the ball into the bottom corner.

Thibaut Courtois saved from Rashford as United were denied an equaliser, and De Gea denied substitute Cesc Fabregas in stoppage time as the Blues prevailed.

CHELSEA: Courtois, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Moses (Zouma 89), Kanté, Matic, Alonso, Willian (Fàbregas 81), Costa (Batshuayi 90), Hazard.

Subs not used: Begovic, Pedro, , Terry, Chalobah.

MAN UTD: De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Darmian, Mkhitaryan (Fellaini 37), Rashford, Young (Lingard 81). Subs not used: Bailly, Mata, Carrick, Blind, Romero.

Man of the Match: Kante

Match rating: 7/10

Referee: Michael Oliver

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph