Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Football

Parkhouse to four as holders Derry go extra mile to book place in final

Derry City 4 Waterford 2 (after extra-time)

Derry's David Parkhouse
Derry's David Parkhouse

By Eoin Wilson

David Parkhouse was the Derry City hero as his four-goal blitz saw off Waterford in a thrilling EA Sports League Cup semi-final at the Brandywell.

The 19-year-old hit two against the Blues last Monday but he went two better to send the holders into their second consecutive League Cup final.

Waterford were celebrating midway through the first half, however, as they were gifted the opening goal.

Darren Cole's header backwards sold Nathan Gartside short and winger Walter Figueira nipped in ahead of the goalkeeper and rolled the ball home.

The hosts were level right on half-time when Tom Holland foolishly barged Barry McNamee to the ground inside the area and referee Rob Rogers pointed to the penalty spot.

Parkhouse immediately placed the ball on the spot and fired home his fourth goal in a week.

Derry were so close to going into the break a goal ahead as McNamee's cross was then met by Kenny Browne, who left his goalkeeper stranded with a looping header which sailed over Matthew Connor but just dropped past the upright.

It was Derry who took the lead on 70 minutes and it was another brilliant moment for Parkhouse. He received the ball from Michael McCrudden 25 yards from goal and, rather than pass to Ciaran Coll on his left, he sent a bullet drive past the despairing dive of Connor and into the bottom corner of the net.

Waterford, however, hit back with just six minutes remaining.

Michael O'Connor evaded three Derry players and found Rob Slevin on the left. His superb cross into the penalty area was tapped home by a delighted Figueira, who could not miss from six yards to take the game to extra-time.

Extra-time was only six minutes old when Derry took the lead again. Jamie McDonagh's sensational cross put it on a plate for Parkhouse, who bundled the ball in from close range to complete his hat-trick.

Waterford's task then became even more difficult when Slevin fouled Jack Malone and was sent off for a second bookable offence.

This semi-final ended as a contest just after the restart when Jack Malone's cross was turned home by that man Parkhouse for his fourth.

Derry City: Gartside, Cole, Gilchrist, Toal, Coll, Harkin (Malone 88), Bruna, Gillespie (Sloggett 62), McNamee (McCrudden 62), McDonagh, Parkhouse (Delap 109).

Waterford: Connor, Slevin, Feely, Browne, Kouogun, Luney, Holland (Lynch 106), Elbouzedi (Galvin 36), Duggan (Chvedukas 74), Figueira, O'Connor (Walsh 109).

Referee: Robert Rogers.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph