Belfast Telegraph

5 great goals described by John Motson

With over 40 years of football commentary under his belt, including 10 World Cups and more than 200 England matches, John Motson has seen his fair share of goals.

Here, Press Association Sport picks out five of the most memorable:

:: Hereford 2 Newcastle 1

FA Cup third-round replay, February 1972

The game that launched Motson's Match of the Day career. Ronnie Radford, the Hereford forward, won the ball in a tackle with John Tudor in midfield before playing a one-two with team-mate Brian Owen. Radford struck the return ball, which got stuck in the Edgar Street mud, first time from 35 yards and his shot flew into the top corner for the equaliser, sparking a mini pitch invasion.

:: Tottenham 3 Manchester City 2

FA Cup final replay, May 1981

The 100th FA Cup final was the first at Wembley to go to a replay. With the game delicately-poised at 2-2 heading into the final 15 minutes, Ricky Villa weaved his way into the City penalty area, beating three players, and slid the ball beneath goalkeeper Joe Corrigan for what proved to be the winner.

:: Arsenal 1 Manchester United 2

FA Cup semi-final replay, April 1999

The last-ever FA Cup semi-final replay was settled by arguably Ryan Giggs' greatest goal. After intercepting a cross-field pass by Patrick Vieira near the halfway line, Giggs embarked on a solo run past a weary Arsenal defence to score the winning goal in extra time. His celebration is as famous as the goal, as Giggs whipped off his shirt and swung it round his head, revealing a hairy chest.

:: England 2 Greece 2

World Cup qualifying, October 2001

Sven-Goran Eriksson's team were 2-1 behind deep into added time and looked destined for a difficult play-off against Ukraine. But David Beckham, on his home ground at Old Trafford, sent England to the World Cup in dramatic fashion with a superb curling free-kick from 25 yards which arrowed over the defensive wall and into the top corner.

:: Liverpool 3 West Ham 3 (Liverpool won on penalties)

FA Cup final, May 2006

With West Ham on the brink of their first FA Cup win since 1980, the seconds were slipping away for Liverpool as the fourth official held up the board displaying four minutes of added time. As he did so, a defensive header fell into the path of Steven Gerrard 35 yards from goal and he unleashed a thunderous first-time strike to make it 3-3 to force extra time.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph