Andre Villas-Boas stands firm on criticism of ref Foy
Chelseaboss Andre Villas-Boas was unrepentant yesterday over his attack on referee Chris Foy after the west London derby, insisting he had done nothing to warrant a Football Association charge.
The FA wrote to Villas-Boas asking for an explanation for his criticism of Foy and the official's two assistants following Sunday's Premier League defeat at QPR.
Chelsea were also charged with “failure to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion” after some of them appeared to surround Foy when Jose Bosingwa was red carded.
The Blues were given until Friday to respond on both counts, after which Villas-Boas could be hit with a charge for accusing the referee of not treating both sides equally and of being “card happy”.
Villas-Boas admitted on Sunday that he was “very aggressive” with Foy after accosting the official post-match, having watched Bosingwa and Didier Drogba dismissed and seven more of his players booked at Loftus Road.
That landed Chelsea with an automatic £25,000 fine, which is bound to increase if they are found guilty of yesterday's charge.
Villas-Boas, who claimed referees had been unfair to his side during previous games this season, could also end up fined or even suspended for his post-match outburst.
“I don't think I said anything I shouldn't have,” said Villas-Boas said, whose side face Everton tonight in the Carling Cup.
“I would never question the referee's integrity.
“But the fact is that, at the moment, we are paying heavily in terms of major decisions.
“Maybe this is what the FA don't want to hear from me — phrases like, 'The referee has influenced heavily three of our games'.”