| 6.9°C Belfast

Arsenal and Liverpool go level on points at the top


Arsenal could not muster a win for Arsene Wenger on his 67th birthday

Arsenal could not muster a win for Arsene Wenger on his 67th birthday

Arsenal could not muster a win for Arsene Wenger on his 67th birthday

Arsenal and Liverpool moved above Manchester City and level on points at the top of the Premier League after contrasting afternoons on Saturday.

The Gunners were held to a frustrating goalless draw by Middlesbrough at the Emirates Stadium before Liverpool produced a superb first-half display on their way to a 2-1 win over West Brom at Anfield.

The two results left Arsenal top on goal difference, with City having the chance to take back pole position when they host Southampton on Sunday.

Boro had several chances to take the lead in the first half at the Emirates, with a free-kick from Gaston Ramirez hitting a post and Petr Cech saving well from both Adama Traore and then Ramirez's header.

The Gunners upped their tempo following the restart, Victor Valdes saving Alexis Sanchez's goal-bound effort, but could not conjure a winner on manager Arsene Wenger's 67th birthday as a stoppage-time goal from Mesut Ozil was ruled out for offside, their run of seven straight victories coming to an end.

In the late kick-off on Merseyside Liverpool swept into the lead after 20 minutes with a well-taken goal from Sadio Mane, who produced a low finish to Roberto Firmino's chipped cross at the far post following a swift move down the left.

Liverpool remained on the offensive and it was 2-0 in the 35th minute when Phillippe Coutinho scored with a fine individual effort. The Brazilian cut back into the left of the area before guiding the ball past Ben Foster.

However, following missed chances by Jurgen Klopp's side in the second half, West Brom improved and netted a deserved consolation with nine minutes left when Gareth McAuley scored after the home side had failed to clear a corner.

In the early kick-off, Tottenham were left hanging on to secure a goalless draw at Bournemouth.

Erik Lamela and Moussa Sissoko were both fortunate not to be sent off in a feisty match which yielded six yellow cards, while Bournemouth's on-loan Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere completed 90 minutes at club level for the first time since September 2014.

Leicester continued their momentum from the midweek Champions League victory over Copenhagen as they beat Crystal Palace 3-1 at the King Power Stadium.

The champions took the lead just before half-time when Ahmed Musa picked the ball up on the edge of the area and smashed it into the roof of the net.

Japan forward Shinji Okazaki doubled the home side's advantage in the 63rd minute when he drilled the ball in from 18 yards.

Any prospects of a comeback were ended with 10 minutes to go when Christian Fuchs rifled in his first Leicester goal from 25 yards. Yohan Cabaye scored a late consolation for the visitors.

Xherdan Shaqiri scored in each half as Stoke won 2-0 at Hull to move out of the bottom three.

The Swiss midfielder opened the scoring on 26 minutes when he cut inside and drilled the ball into the top right corner.

Shaqiri doubled Stoke's lead five minutes into the second half when he clipped a 20-yard free-kick up over the wall and past Hull goalkeeper David Marshall.

Scott Arfield scored a last-minute winner as Burnley beat Everton 2-1 at Turf Moor.

Wales forward Sam Vokes put the Clarets ahead in the 39th minute when he knocked in from close range after the ball was patted out by Toffees goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

Everton were level on 58 minutes through a low finish from Yannick Bolasie, the Congo forward's first goal since a summer move from Palace.

Just when time seemed up, Johann Berg Gudmundsson's shot came back off the crossbar and Arfield tapped in.

There was also late drama at the London Stadium, where Winston Reid netted deep into stoppage-time to give West Ham a 1-0 win over bottom club Sunderland.

New Swansea manager Bob Bradley collected his first point in the job following a goalless draw against Watford at the Liberty Stadium, where Gylfi Sigurdsson hit a post in the second half.