Belfast Telegraph

We were still feeling effects of loss to Red Devils, admits Wenger

Southampton 1-1 Arsenal

Late show: Olivier Giroud headers home the equaliser for Arsenal
Late show: Olivier Giroud headers home the equaliser for Arsenal

By Mark Mann-Bryans

Arsene Wenger believes his Arsenal defenders were suffering a hangover from the defeat to Manchester United as they started sluggishly at Southampton yesterday.

Charlie Austin fired the hosts ahead in just the third minute, capitalising on a lackadaisical start from the Gunners back line.

Skipper Per Mertesacker returned to the starting line-up with Shkodran Mustafi injured and the German gifted possession to Austin, who exchanged passes with Dusan Tadic to give the Saints the lead.

Arsenal rallied late on to earn a point as substitute Olivier Giroud headed home with two minutes remaining, but a point leaves Wenger's men outside the top four heading into the midweek fixtures.

Wenger conceded after the game that the 3-1 loss to United last weekend was still on the minds of his players when the game at St Mary's got under way.

"I felt that the Manchester United game played a bit of a part in the heads of our defenders," he said.

"It was a bit in their heads and they were a bit apprehensive to start well again and that's why it is sometimes not good to talk about the problem because you create a bigger one.

"I'm not happy with the point because I wanted three, but if you cannot win it, don't lose it and we kept going.

"We were relentless, after a difficult start we were caught cold and overall it was a windy, rainy afternoon against a team who played well and were quick on the counter-attack."

Wenger was also unhappy with what he perceived as time-wasting from Southampton as they looked to see the game out in the latter stages - specifically when his side were prevented from taking a quick free-kick in the last minute of the game.

"I must say I am very frustrated as in the second half there was a lot of time-wasting," he added.

"Especially on the final ball on the counter-attack, it is very frustrating to give the advantage to the guy who made the foul because we were called back.

"We were three against one and we played the ball quickly but the referee called the ball back without any reason and that was a huge advantage for Southampton in the final minute of the game."

Saints would have moved into the top half of the table if they could have held on for the win but, despite being disappointed with the late equaliser, manager Mauricio Pellegrino was happy with the performance.

"It's part of the game, we know that a team with the quality of Arsenal, in one action they can create problems but we played a good game," he said.

"We have to draw our positive conclusion. We created chances and we competed really well and we have to be happy with this.

"We are obviously disappointed because we conceded towards the end, we were really close to winning the game, but the most important thing for us is our game."

SOUTHAMPTON: Forster, Stephens, Yoshida, Van Dijk, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Tadic (Davis, 89 mins), Redmond (Boufal, 74 mins), Austin (Gabbiadini, 86 mins). Unused subs: McCarthy, Pied, Hoedt, Lemina.

ARSENAL: Cech, Koscielny, Mertesacker (Welbeck, 64 mins), Monreal, Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka (Wilshere, 69 mins), Kolasinac, Ozil, Sanchez, Lacazette (Giroud, 72 mins). Unused subs: Ospina, Coquelin, Maitland-Niles, Iwobi.

Man of the match: Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

Match rating: 7/10

Referee: Bobby Madley

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph