Belfast Telegraph

Boyd charged with misconduct by FA

Hull striker George Boyd was charged with misconduct by the Football Association as the governing body dealt with a series of disciplinary matters from the weekend.

Boyd was deemed to have a case to answer after pictures appeared to show him spitting at Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart during Saturday's fiery Barclays Premier League clash at the KC Stadium.

Hart, however, will face no further action for his role in an angry confrontation with Boyd having been booked at the time by referee Lee Mason.

Press Association Sport also understands that City captain Vincent Kompany will face no punishment for his angry reaction to being sent off in the same game.

It is also also understood that Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho will not face disciplinary proceedings for comments about referee Chris Foy after his side's loss at Aston Villa.

But the governing body is still to decide whether the Portuguese should face further action for being sent to the stands by Foy late in the game.

Boyd has been given until 6pm on Wednesday to respond to his charge or face a ban for a sending-off offence missed by Mason.

A statement from the FA read: "Under a new pilot project in Premier League matches this season, if an incident has not been seen by the match officials, a three-man panel of former elite referees will be asked by the FA to review it and advise what, if any action, they believe the match referee should have taken had it been witnessed at the time.

"For an FA charge to follow, all three panel members must agree it is a sending-off offence. In this instance, the panel were of the unanimous decision that it was an act of misconduct."

The flashpoint between Boyd and Hart occurred after the Hull forward was denied a penalty for what he felt was a foul by the England goalkeeper.

The pair clashed foreheads, an act for which Hart was shown a yellow card.

In line with its own rules, the FA considers Hart to have been dealt with.

Kompany was sent off by Mason in the 10th minute of that match for a professional foul on Nikica Jelavic.

The Belgian reacted angrily to the decision and kicked a tunnel wall after leaving the field and made a gesture towards fourth official Anthony Taylor that could be interpreted as offensive.

It is understood that the FA has since contacted Kompany for his observations and decided that no further action will be taken. He will serve a mandatory one-match ban for the red card.

Mourinho was strongly critical of Foy and suggested he should not referee future Chelsea games after the Blues' 1-0 defeat at Villa Park.

It is understood these comments, which did not question Foy's integrity, did not cross a line that would incur a misconduct charge.

It remains to be seen if he will still be censured for his dismissal by Foy, which occurred after he entered the pitch in the melee that followed a red-card tackle by Chelsea's Ramires on Karim El Ahmadi.


From Belfast Telegraph