Belfast Telegraph

City ease to win over Fulham

Sergio Aguero ended his five-game barren streak by sending Manchester City on their way to a comfortable 3-0 win over Fulham.

Aguero drove home his 18th goal of the campaign from the penalty spot after just nine minutes on a snowy evening at the Etihad Stadium as City opened up three-point lead at the top of the Barclays Premier League.

And with Chris Baird turning Adam Johnson's cross into his own net, City were not hindered by the wintry conditions that even left the fans to chant for the end long before the five minutes' injury time had been completed.

In sub-zero temperatures and with snow getting increasingly heavy, the Blues were without skipper Vincent Kompany due to a knee injury, on a run of just three wins from their last nine games and facing a team who had lost on just one of their eight visits to the Etihad Stadium.

City needed a helping hand, and referee Mike Dean provided it. Fooled by Johnson initiating contact with Baird inside the box, Dean pointed to the spot when a yellow card for the City man could easily have been the correct decision.

Aguero converted to the corner despite Mark Schwarzer going the right way, and fate had not finished for City.

Aguero flicked Aleksandar Kolarov's cross into the path of Johnson and Baird got in the way as the winger turned it back towards the danger area, giving Schwarzer no chance of keeping it out.

Aside from Damien Duff's angled drive, Fulham offered little and the game would have been over had it not been for Brede Hangeland, who threw himself in the way of a goalbound Dzeko strike.

In the second half, Aguero provided another moment of excellence. The striker's nimble feet carried him into the area and past two tackles before he rolled the ball to an unmarked Dzeko, who finished with ease.

The visitors hit the post when a cross-shot from Bryan Ruiz flicked off Dzeko before rolling to safety but that proved to be the final goalmouth incident.


From Belfast Telegraph