Belfast Telegraph

Cottagers seal Ruiz deal

Fulham gazumped Newcastle to complete the signing of FC Twente attacker Bryan Ruiz for a fee believed to be £10.6million.

The 26-year-old has attracted interest from across Europe due to his Eredivisie form, with the likes of Benfica, Tottenham, Valencia and Villarreal all mooted as potential destinations this summer.

However, Ruiz has penned a four-year deal at Craven Cottage after rejecting a last-ditch offer from Newcastle on Wednesday evening.

"I'm really happy to be joining Fulham Football Club and playing under Martin Jol who is a manager I admire from his time managing in Holland for Ajax," he told the club's official website, www.fulhamfc.com.

"I chose to come to Fulham because it feels more personal than other clubs I have visited.

"I'm looking forward to meeting up with the whole squad when most of the players return from the international break and getting to work straight away with the team in preparation for some important fixtures."

The Costa Rica international will be joined at Craven Cottage by Portuguese striker Orlando Sa, who has penned three-year deal at Craven Cottage.

"I am happy to have completed my transfer to Fulham and the Premier League today," he said after his free transfer move from Porto. "This is an enormous opportunity for me and I'm looking forward to joining the team and entering the next phase of my development.

"It's a wonderful challenge for me and I am keen to bring my qualities to Fulham and the Premier League."

Earlier on transfer deadline day, Fulham have completed the signing of Juventus defender Zdenek Grygera on a one-year deal.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph