| 12.9°C Belfast

Cup joy for Sheffield United

Super-sub Jamie Ward helped fire Sheffield United into the fourth round of the FA Cup as QPR were put to the sword at Loftus Road.

The Blades were clinging onto Lee Williamson's early opener when Northern Ireland striker Ward scored with his first touch and then immediately set up a third for Richard Cresswell.

Rangers came back, courtesy of Akos Buzsaky's penalty and Damion Stewart's header to set up a nervy finish but United held on.

Crisis club Portsmouth completed a dramatic come-from-behind victory to go through, beating Coventry 2-1 after extra-time.

Coventry took the lead through Leon Best's superbly taken half-volley in the first half as the Sky Blues striker turned to smash a delightful effort into the top corner from the edge of the area.

But as the match moved into injury time, a mix-up at the back saw the unfortunate Wright head into his own net. Then, with penalties looming, Aaron Mokoena got up for a corner to head home and break Coventry hearts.

Midfielder Barry Ferguson's first goal for Birmingham sealed victory over Nottingham Forest at St Andrews and clinched a visit to Everton.

The ex-Rangers man broke the deadlock 16 minutes into the second half and sealed a fortunate victory for the home side.

Substitute Gavin Williams grabbed a 92nd-minute equaliser as Bristol City earned a third round replay against Coca-Cola Championship rivals Cardiff.

The Robins looked to be on their way out of the competition when Michael Chopra capitalised on an error from Dean Gerken to give the Bluebirds the lead with 14 minutes remaining.

But Williams levelled at the death, drilling a right-footed shot across David Marshall and into the far corner with the aid of a slight deflection.

Derby beat Millwall 5-3 on penalties after the two sides finished normal time tied at 1-1.

After a goalless 90 minutes, Millwall took the lead with Steve Morison prodding home after Dave Martin's shot was blocked in the 108th minute.

But Derby quickly levelled when Steve Davies lobbed the keeper.

Danny Schofield saw his penalty saved by Stephen Bywater midway through the shoot-out, leaving Dean Moxey to seal the win with a placed shot into the bottom left-hand corner.

Belfast Telegraph