Belfast Telegraph

Debut delight for Aguero

Two-goal Sergio Aguero made a dramatic debut as Manchester City crushed promoted Swansea 4-0 to make a winning start to their Barclays Premier League campaign.

The £38million club record signing came off the bench moments after Edin Dzeko broke the deadlock at the Etihad Stadium to score twice and set up another for David Silva.

Dzeko's goal had not arrived until the 57th minute but Roberto Mancini's men throughly deserved their victory with Silva and Gareth Barry hitting the bar among a host of other chances.

Almost half an hour had gone before Man City finally started to warm up, but Swansea somehow withstood the fierce barrage they encountered before half-time. Silva almost found a way through when he combined with Nigel de Jong on the edge of the box but debutant goalkeeper Michel Vorm brilliantly saved his curling effort.

The Dutchman also dealt comfortably with shots from Dzeko and Adam Johnson and breathed again when Silva showed great technique after an incisive Man City move to clip the bar.

Toure and Dzeko had further chances before the interval but Vorm stood firm and Barry also rattled the bar seconds before the whistle.

Man City continued to look the more likely to score in the second-half and their opener finally came after more fine work by Silva. The Spaniard fed Johnson out wide and although Vorm parried his curling shot, Dzeko was in the right place to divert the ball into the net as it rebounded quickly to him.

The goal settled nerves at Etihad Stadium and Mancini responded by introducing Aguero to popular acclaim. The former Atletico Madrid man did not need much longer to make his mark, sliding on to a Micah Richards cross at the far post to double the lead.

He created another moments later, lifting the ball over Vorm and then squaring on the volley, just as the ball was millimetres from crossing the byline, for Silva to tap in.

And there was still time for more drama as Aguero capped his stunning debut with a 30-yard strike that flew past Vorm into the top corner in injury time.


From Belfast Telegraph