Belfast Telegraph

Everton fury at Papiss Cisse elbow as Newcastle steal it

Newcastle 3 - Everton 2

By Damian Spellman

Roberto Martinez insisted Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse should have been sent off for an "unacceptable" elbow on Seamus Coleman in Everton's 3-2 defeat on Tyneside.

Republic of Ireland international Coleman went to ground after clashing with the Senegal frontman on the half-hour of the Barclays Premier League match at St James' Park, and replays suggested the latter was fortunate to survive as referee Craig Pawson took no action.

Martinez's frustration was compounded four minutes later when Cisse cancelled out Arouna Kone's opener to set up the home side to end a run of four successive defeats with a 3-2 victory.

Asked if the goalscorer should still have been on the pitch at that point, the Toffees boss said: "No, no, he shouldn't.

"One thing is the performance of the two sides; the other is the big moments like that elbow. I don't want to see players sent off for different rules or the laws of the game, but it is unacceptable, that action from Papiss Cisse.

"You don't want to see that on a football pitch, that shouldn't be allowed. Two players fighting for their position at a dead-ball situation and you end up deciding to take the law (into your own hands) by elbowing a fellow professional, it's unacceptable and that should have been a red card.

"That's got nothing to do with the result ... but actions like that shouldn't be allowed."

Cisse seems certain to face action over the incident, but Martinez admitted his surprise that it had not been spotted at the time.

He said: "I am surprised. When you see it on the replay, there is no intention of the player to hide it."

The game started in rather more encouraging fashion than it ended for the visitors when Kone, making his first Barclays Premier League start for the club he joined during the summer of 2013, marked it with his first goal just five minutes in.

But the home side recovered and after Cisse had levelled, Ayoze Perez gave them a 51st-minute lead and Jack Colback opened his Magpies account 16 minutes later. Substitute Kevin Mirallas sparked a late flurry by reducing the deficit six minutes from time - but Newcastle held out.

Victory could hardly have been more welcome for Magpies boss Alan Pardew after three successive league defeats, including one by arch-rivals Sunderland in their last outing at St James' Park.

However, he chose not to share his thoughts with the media afterwards with bookmakers having suspended betting on his appointment as Neil Warnock's replacement at Crystal Palace.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph