Belfast Telegraph

First triumph over Toffees tastes sweet for Monk’s high-flying Swans

Swansea 3-0 Everton

Swansea claimed their first ever victory over Everton to reach the last 16 of the Capital One Cup.

The two clubs first played each other in September 1930 but Swansea had failed to win in 20 attempts ahead of this tussle.

Yet goals from Nathan Dyer, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Marvin Emnes comfortably saw them through to the fourth round at the Liberty Stadium last night.

Dyer opened the scoring with his fourth goal of the season after 28 minutes, Sigurdsson added another midway through the second half and substitute Emnes drove home the third late on.

Everton had made seven changes to the side beaten by Crystal Palace in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday, and Swansea five to the team which lost to Southampton a day earlier.

Bryan Oviedo made a welcome return for Everton after suffering a double leg break in an FA Cup tie at Stevenage in January, but it was Swansea winger Jefferson Montero who caught the eye.

Montero made the first goal for Dyer and almost a second for Sigurdsson before Everton's resistance crumbled and Swansea's superiority was rewarded on the scoresheet.

Victory was particularly sweet for rookie Swansea boss Garry Monk who was up against his former manager, Roberto Martinez.

Sigurdsson had two early sights of goal but his long-range efforts were wayward and Everton's Tony Hibbert was also off target.

Everton were showing signs of growing into the game when Luke Garbutt's deep free-kick caught Swansea sleeping and Antolin Alcaraz stabbed the ball towards goal, with only Gerhard Tremmel's legs saving the Swans.

It proved a precious save as Montero surged between Hibbert and Muhamed Besic in the 28th minute and crossed into the danger area.

The ball travelled through to Dyer at the far post to beat Tim Howard with a crisp finish.

The Toffees sent on Romelu Lukaku for Eto'o at half-time and the big Belgian striker almost made an instant impact by outmuscling Federico Fernandez to hit a rising shot over the crossbar.

Aiden McGeady also fired over but Swansea almost doubled their lead after 53 minutes with Montero again the provider.

The Ecuadorian picked out Sigurdsson with a delicious cross and Howard had to save.

But Howard had no chance after 64 minutes when Distin headed against his own crossbar in trying to clear and Sigurdsson reacted quickest to stab home.

Emnes fired home 74 seconds after arriving as an 85th-minute substitute as Swansea eased through.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph