Football rumours from the media
Real Madrid plot a £100m swoop for Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard.
Real Madrid are poised to offer Chelsea £100million – plus Gareth Bale – to get hold of Eden Hazard, The Sun reports. The Belgian playmaker, 27, was perceived to have hinted he may leave Stamford Bridge after telling French football programme Telefoot “when I want to change clubs, I will”. However he said he was happy with the Blues, where he has two years left on a contract reportedly worth £200,000-a-week. According to the Daily Mirror, Paris St Germain are also eyeing up Hazard, while Real are also interested in team-mate Thibaut Courtois.
What the papers say
Alan Pardew has two games to save his job as West Brom manager following a torrid week for the Albion, The Sun reports. Already bottom of the Premier League and under threat from relegation, the Baggies crashed out of the FA Cup in a 2-1 defeat to Southampton on Saturday. It was another blow for the club trying to move on after the emergence of allegations of off-field bad behaviour by four senior players. Claims that Jonny Evans, Gareth Barry, Jake Livermore and Boaz Myhill had stolen a taxi during the training camp in Barcelona surfaced after the the sacking of club chairman John Williams and chief executive Martin Goodman on Tuesday over West Brom’s recent performance. Albion play Huddersfield City at home on Saturday and Watford away on March 3.
Former Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is expected to snub Paris St Germain in hope that he will be able to return to the Premier League, the Daily Mirror reports. The Italian, who was in charge at Stamford Bridge between 2009 and 2011, was sacked by Bayern Munich last September after the Bundesliga champions’ 3-0 defeat to PSG. The French giants have reportedly made inquiries as they look to replace Unai Emery at the end of the season, however Ancelotti has moved to London in anticipation of a future return to English football. He was at Wembley for the north London derby between Arsenal and Tottenham on February 10 and has attended several Premier League matches so far this season.
Borussia Dortmund midfielder Julian Weigl is a potential long-term replacement for Yaya Toure at Manchester City, according to reports. Pep Guardiola is said to have sent scouts to watch the 22-year-old Germany international in several recent games and Weigl has impressed. As a result Dortmund have set a £40million price for the young player, according to the Daily Mirror. Having represented the national youth teams since 2013, Weigl is expected to to be called up for Germany’s World Cup title defence in the summer.
Social media round-up
Players to watch
Jonathan Bamba: West Ham hope to sign the 21-year-old Saint Etienne midfielder on a pre-contract this summer, The Sun reports.
Nick Pope: The Burnley goalkeeper, 25, is a summer target for Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez, according to The Mag.
Joe Mason: Wolves’ 26-year-old striker is a Colorado Rapids target, the Birmingham Mail reports.