Belfast Telegraph

Foxes' improved £21m Evans bid is snubbed

 

By Robert Jones

West Brom have rejected a second bid from Leicester for Northern Ireland defender Jonny Evans.

The Foxes' improved offer, reported to be £21m, is thought to be a significant increase on the amount they bid earlier this summer and exceeds the £18m Manchester City tabled for the 29-year-old this month.

City are expected to make a second bid for Evans before the transfer window closes on Thursday.

Albion captain Evans has yet to play this season due to a hamstring injury, but he is still expected to join up with the Northern Ireland squad ahead of their World Cup qualifying matches against San Marino and the Czech Republic.

He addressed the uncertainty surrounding his future in the matchday programme ahead of West Brom's 1-1 home draw with Stoke on Sunday.

"Obviously there's been a bit of speculation around my future here, but from my point of view, it's very simple," said Evans. "All I've been concentrating on is getting fit and getting back out on the pitch and doing my bit for the team.

"Every window there's always speculation over transfers but as players these things are often out of your control and it's best not to think too much about it.

"Until anybody tells me different, I'm committed to the Albion and I'm only thinking about getting in this team. It's a great club and I'm proud to be captain."

West Brom head coach Tony Pulis wants to add four more players to his squad ahead of Thursday night's deadline, with a central defender on his list of targets. Pulis said recently he would probably need two centre-halves should Evans leave.

It is thought it would take an offer of around £30m for West Brom to consider selling the former Manchester United player.

Meanwhile, Ousmane Dembele has formally completed his £135.5m move to Barcelona and been paraded at the Nou Camp.

Around 17,000 fans attended Barca's official unveiling ceremony for the 20-year-old France winger, whose switch from Borussia Dortmund was announced on Friday.

The fee agreed between the two clubs - an initial £96.8m with add-ons potentially taking it to £135.5m - makes the player the second most expensive in history.

It is eclipsed only by Neymar's £200.6m move from Barca to Paris Saint-Germain earlier this month.

Dembele was filmed by the club arriving at Barcelona's training ground and undergoing his medical. He then formally signed his five-year contract before being presented at the Nou Camp.

Dembele said: "I am very happy to be here. I have come to win titles and am looking forward to integrating into the team."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph