Harry Maguire is close to agreeing a new £75,000-a-week contract with Leicester City, following Manchester United's failed attempt to sign the England defender.
Maguire is in advanced talks over a deal and it is understood the Foxes remain hopeful of reaching a resolution this month.
United manager Jose Mourinho targeted Maguire in the transfer window but Leicester were adamant that their £17m signing would not be sold this summer.
Negotiations were initially held with Maguire's representatives before the World Cup and were always going to continue at the start of the Premier League season, regardless of United's interest.
It is believed that United did not make a formal offer for the 25-year-old despite making several soundings.
The former Hull City centre-half's substantial pay hike reflects his importance to Leicester and his growing reputation in the game, following his impressive performances for England in Russia.
Leicester have already agreed a new four-year contract with striker Jamie Vardy.
Maguire played the full 90 minutes of the Foxes' 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford last Friday night, only four days after returning from holiday following the World Cup.
Leicester manager Claude Puel said: "I'm happy about Harry and Jamie. They came back to us with a smile and are happy to remain."
Nigeria international Wilfred Ndidi is also in talks over a new deal as Leicester move to keep their core together.
Puel is working to trim his squad before the August 31 deadline, with long-serving Andy King, Danny Simpson and Hamza Choudhury in line to go out on loan.
Record signing Islam Slimani, Ahmed Musa and Leonardo Ulloa have already departed the club.
Meanwhile, Diego Godin has revealed that he rejected a move to Manchester United due to "personal reasons".
United made a late effort to sign the 32-year-old in the final stages of the summer transfer window by triggering the €25m (£22.5m) release clause in his contract with Atletico Madrid.
Mourinho was in the market to sign an experienced option in central defence and Godin represented a much cheaper alternative than Toby Alderweireld, who Tottenham valued at around £70m. But the Uruguay international snubbed the chance to make the move to Old Trafford.
Mourinho was reportedly furious with Godin's agent for using United to get a better contract with Atletico. But Godin insists he has not yet signed a new deal with Diego Simeone's side.
"I have not renewed," Godin said yesterday ahead of Atletico's Super Cup final against Real Madrid in Estonia tonight. "I have had offers, although I have decided to stay for personal reasons and I am only thinking about the final.
"But I have not extended my contract. I saw that news came out but I do not know where it came from."
• Liverpool have referred a video to Merseyside Police that appears to show star forward Mohamed Salah using his mobile phone while behind the wheel of his car.
The Egyptian could face action after a video circulated on social media that showed him in traffic in his white Mercedes-Benz. At the time of the video, Salah is surrounded by fans who had spotted him, including young children, but he refuses to acknowledge them as he continues to look at the phone.
A tweet from the official Merseyside Police account said that they were aware of the footage and that it had been passed onto the "relevant department" for investigation.
The tweet read: "We have been made aware of a video believed to show a footballer using a mobile phone whilst driving. This has been passed to the relevant department. Thanks for letting us know."
Liverpool also confirmed that they had been made aware of the footage and a spokesman for the club said that they had passed it onto the authorities, with any further disciplinary action set to be dealt with "internally".
"The club, after discussion with the player, have made Merseyside Police aware of the footage and the circumstances surrounding its capture," a Liverpool spokesman said.