Hughes thinks Lanzini ban should apply for West Ham's next fixture against Stoke
Stoke boss Mark Hughes has suggested Manuel Lanzini's ban for diving should apply for West Ham's next match against the Potters.
Hughes was left fuming over referee Graham Scott's decision last Saturday to award a penalty when Hammers midfielder Lanzini went down in the Stoke box as he was challenged by Erik Pieters.
The Football Association subsequently announced Lanzini had been charged with diving, and then, following his denial of the charge, that it had been upheld, with the Argentinian having to serve a two-game suspension.
That ruled him out of Tuesday's Carabao Cup quarter-final against Arsenal, and he will also miss the Premier League clash on Saturday with Newcastle, who are 18th, a point worse off than 17th-placed Stoke and two behind the 15th-spotted Hammers.
The penalty Lanzini won last weekend was converted by Mark Noble to make it 1-0 in what finished as a 3-0 defeat for Hughes' men.
Speaking about Lanzini on Friday, Hughes said: "The lad's been sanctioned, rightly in my view, for diving.
"He missed the League Cup game and at the weekend they play Newcastle. So he misses one Premier League game when it could have been two. Newcastle get the benefit because he is not playing against them.
"The only team who don't get any benefit is ourselves. So that needs to change. The referee needs to step up and get these key moments right."
Hughes was then asked if there was a case for the manager of the team a player dived against choosing the games the suspension applied for over the next 10.
And he said: "It doesn't seem that it is correct really.
"In terms of what you suggest, I don't know if that would be possible. I don't think it would be viewed as the correct solution.
"But maybe because the offence was against us he shouldn't be allowed to play against us in the return game. That is unlikely to happen but maybe that is a better option."
West Ham are scheduled to host Stoke on April 14.