Hughton staying out of debate over whether Dunk should be chosen by England
Brighton boss Chris Hughton has refused to enter the debate over whether Lewis Dunk should be chosen by England despite lavishing praise on the central defender.
Dunk added to his growing reputation on Saturday as Brighton won 1-0 at Swansea to climb into the top half of the Premier League table.
The 25-year-old shut out Tammy Abraham just a few days after the on-loan Swansea striker had been included in the England squad for November friendlies against Germany and Brazil.
It is a squad many observers felt Dunk should have featured in following his early-season form for the Premier League new boys.
"When it comes to international selection for any of our players, that's the responsibility of those managers," Hughton said.
"All I can talk about is how well Lewis has done for us.
"He's been outstanding and credit to Lewis because, even before my time here, he's got better and better as each season has gone.
"Even some of the parts of his game which he needed to improve on he's gone and done that.
"He's done it through hard work himself. He's been excellent."
Glenn Murray's first-half winner at Swansea saw Brighton record successive away wins in the top flight for the first time since 1983.
The Seagulls have lost only once in six games, with the Dunk-Shane Duffy centre-back axis a huge part of an impressive defensive unit.
"Apart from Brighton getting to the Premier League, the other thing I'm delighted about is some of our players showing they can do it at this level," Hughton said.
"We've been very good for the last two seasons and I've seen players improve their games to a really good standard.
"When you're a newly promoted team you evaluate all the time - things have gone well so far, but they can soon go the other way.
"At the moment we're getting results due to the levels we're playing at.
"But anything short of that level means we can get beat quite comfortably."