Kean expecting to stay in charge
Blackburn manager Steve Kean has claimed he still expects to be in charge of the club for the Boxing Day trip to Liverpool despite Tuesday night's 2-1 home defeat by Bolton.
The result sent Rovers plummeting to the foot of the Premier League and drew more vicious abuse for the Scot from home fans, who booed him throughout. Yet he insists he does not expect to get sacked.
"I expect to be here on Boxing Day," said Kean. "I would be completely shocked if they (the owners) decide to replace me, yes."
It had been suggested a board meeting had been convened for Wednesday. Given Kean was nearly dismissed earlier this month, it was expected by many to sound the death knell for his time in charge. Yet the Scot insists there is no such meeting.
"There is no board meeting tomorrow (Wednesday)," he said. "I spoke to the owners prior to the game and I spoke to them at length yesterday."
Kean insisted the venom directed at his was nothing new. However, Manchester United striker Michael Owen was amongst those watching to express their distaste at the abuse on Twitter. Hundreds of fans demonstrated at the end, increasing the pressure still further.
And Bolton boss Owen Coyle delivered his own damning verdict.
"I do not think they have given Steve Kean any chance from the outset," said Coyle.
"They have their own reasons for that and ultimately, those who want to be heard shout the loudest. Steve Kean is a terrific coach and manager. All you want is an opportunity.
"We have the best league in the world, but we don't have the 20 best managers in the world, someone has to fill the dreaded places where no-one wants to be. I hope he is given the time to do that because he is a genuinely nice person."