Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out has expressed its concern at Newcastle not disclosing the details of Peter Beardsley’s departure from the club following allegations of bullying.
Fourteen months ago the then Newcastle Under-23s coach was placed on gardening leave while an internal investigation was launched after a complaint made by academy midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni.
Beardsley has always denied the claims, but his departure from his hometown club was announced earlier this week by Newcastle, who neither revealed the outcome of their probe nor the terms on which he had left.
Kick It Out has called for the Premier League club to be “transparent in its decision” over Beardsley.
Kick It Out is concerned that Newcastle United have failed to outline the reasons for Peter Beardsley’s departure and, if it is as a result of the allegations made against him, we would encourage the club to be transparent in its decision.Kick It Out
Since Beardsley left the club, the Football Association has said the allegations surrounding the 58-year-old “continue to be under consideration” by the governing body.
Kick it Out said in a statement: “Kick It Out is concerned that Newcastle United have failed to outline the reasons for Peter Beardsley’s departure and, if it is as a result of the allegations made against him, we would encourage the club to be transparent in its decision.
“We are continuing to ascertain what the FA’s investigation includes and would welcome a swift and informative outcome for all involved.”
Beardsley made more than 300 appearances for Newcastle in two spells during an illustrious playing career which also brought 59 England caps.
In a statement issued after the Magpies’ announcement on Wednesday, he said: “The time is now right for me to seek a new challenge and I wish the players all the best and the supporters the success they deserve.
“I have always honoured my contractual obligations of confidentiality to the club and maintained my silence, which has in itself been very difficult.
“I am incredibly grateful for the tremendous support I have received and I look forward to the future.”
El-Mhanni, now 23, was released by Newcastle last summer after making two senior appearances, both in the FA Cup, and is now on the books at League One side Scunthorpe.