Belfast Telegraph

Liverpool target Premier League and La Liga midfielders while Reds unwilling to pay up for Van Dijk: transfer rumours

Liverpool have been linked with two promising midfielders while their interest in their most high-profile target could be cooling, according to transfer rumours.

First of all, independent.ie have reported that the Reds are turning their attentions to alternative centre-back options as they are unwilling to meet Southampton's £70 million valuation of VIRGIL VAN DIJK. The story claims that both Manchester City and Chelsea are expected to make bids while the Reds are unlikely to match the spending power of their rivals.

Van Dijk was left out of Southampton's team for the defeat at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Boss Mauricio Pellegrino, after that match, said: "I'm not the owner of the player. I can have my opinion and this I have given to the technical director, to the chairman. After, the board can decide all together which is the best for the team. I will recommend to try to keep our best player here in the club. The club was clear in the beginning and I have the same opinion."

Meanwhile, Liverpool are reportedly more likely to land West Ham midfielder DOMINGOS QUINA. The 18 year-old has represented Portugal at Under 19 level and is contracted with the Hammers until 2019 but the Daily Mail have claimed that David Moyes could cash in on a player West Ham landed for free from Chelsea last year. The report says Liverpool are leading the chase and that, if he does trade clubs, he could be sent out on loan in search of regular football. However, claretandhugh.info have claimed that a West Ham insider has rubbished rumours that he could leave in January.

Liverpool have also been again linked with Real Madrid midfielder MATEO KOVACIC. The Croatian, according to Diario Gol, is subject of a potential bid as Jurgen Klopp reckons the former Inter star could at least partly fill any void that could be left by Philippe Coutinho's rumoured departure. However, the Reds could face a battle on their hands with Spanish outlet Don Balon claiming that Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is optimistic he can bring the 23-year-old to Old Trafford.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph