Belfast Telegraph

Sports Awards

Liverpool through to semi-finals of Champions League after Man City win

Man City  1  Liverpool  2 (1-5 agg)

Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino sent Liverpool into the semi-finals of the Champions League with a 5-1 aggregate win over Manchester City.

The pair secured a 2-1 night win on the night to seal their team's first appearance in the Champions League semi-finals in a decade, but it was a disastrous start for Liverpool.

The home side needed a fast start and they certainly got one, Jesus scoring to make the aggregate score 3-1 in Liverpool's favour.

City won the ball off Liverpool and Sterling raced down the right before squaring for Jesus to slide the ball past Loris Karius with under two minutes on the clock.

City went close again with Bernardo Silva hitting the post and Sane having a goal ruled out for offside but Liverpool kept them down to one goal to lead 3-1 on aggregate at half-time.

Silva cut inside from the right and hit a curling left foot shot which defender Dejan Lovren just got his head to and the slight deflection was enough to take it onto the post.

Just before half time Sane was denied what he thought was City's second when he was flagged offside as he got the final touch from close range after Liverpool failed to clear the ball.

City started the second half with manager Pep Guardiola in the stands after he was sent off by Spanish referee Antonio Mateu.

The City manager had tried to herd his players away from the referee at the break but that did not stop the official showing his fellow Spaniard a red card.

As the second half began Guardiola took a seat in the stands alongside his assistant Manel Estiarte.

From there he witnessed Liverpool restored their three-goal lead in the tie when Salah struck 11 minutes into the second half.

Sadio Mane powered his way into the City area and when he fell under the challenge of Ederson, Salah was on hand to claim possession and clip the ball wide of the covering defender and into the empty net.

Liverpool went ahead on the night when Roberto Firmino made it 5-1 on aggregate with a cool finish after 77 minutes.

The Brazilian punished a slip by Nicolas Otamendi and curled a low shot past Ederson and in off the far post.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph