Belfast Telegraph

Champions League: Late, late show as Kevin De Bruyne clinches victory for Man City over Sevilla

Man City 2-1 Sevilla

By Andy Hampson

Kevin De Bruyne struck an injury-time winner as Manchester City came from behind to claim a dramatic 2-1 win over Sevilla in the Champions League.

City had looked to be labouring to another unconvincing result in the competition, with only an Adil Rami own goal after Yevhen Konoplyanka's earlier strike saving them from possible defeat at the Etihad Stadium.

But as the game moved into four minutes of added time, De Bruyne raced on to a Yaya Toure through-ball and guided a shot into the bottom corner.

City boss Manuel Pellegrini said: "It was a very close game the two teams played very well and made no mistakes. We had character to the end and got the goal.

"We needed to make some changes, we were not arriving in the box and we had no strikers on the bench but it was the way to free Yaya Toure."

De Bruyne said: "Even though we did not have our best game we tried to look for the victory and in the end we could score. We have a team to attack and we will try to get the three points in Sevilla too."

City keeper Joe Hart admitted his side were on the ropes during the contest.

"Sevilla have earned the right to be in this competition and they made it difficult for us," said Hart.

"They would have been happy with a draw but Kevin has found a fine finish to win us the game."

City did create numerous chances but lacked the composure of the visitors, who also hit the woodwork through Konoplyanka.

Some of City's better moments came early on and Jesus Navas, hoping to his mark against his home-town club, had the first opportunity of the night with a well-struck shot from distance.

De Bruyne then teed up Toure with a good ball into the box but the midfielder missed the ball and Bony's consequent effort lacked power.

The home defence was cut open time after time and it eventually caught up with them as Vitolo squared for Konoplyanka to fire home the opening goal after 30 minutes.

City did produce a good response and they levelled within six minutes. Toure drove to the byline and pulled the ball back across goal. Raheem Sterling's shot was saved but Bony reacted quickly to the rebound and the ball was deflected in off Rami.

But despite the leveller, City continued to look vulnerable with Vicente Iborra heading over a good chance and Kevin Gameiro similarly wasting an even better chance after the restart.

City's supporters were clearly anxious and it was Sevilla's who were the more vocal but the hosts roused themselves in the closing moments.

Toure forced a good save from Sergio Rico with 89 minutes on the clock and De Bruyne then had the final say.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph